Image X5 - Wow

BLSamuel

Professor Thump and the gang have done it again. Insanely awesome sound in a small package.

The new Image X5 aren't as tiny as the original Image X10 but I think they sound better in the highs. I've owned and used the Custom 2 for pretty much as long as they've been available. Great 'phones for the money.

I was able to try the various models at the Klipsch Pilgrimage along with my daughter who uses my Custom 2 on road trips though limited to the Image X10 and Image X5 and then only a small amount of time with each.

I probably should've tried the Custom 3 for the best reference available but after even a short exposure to the Image X10 last year I'm convinced the Image models are my favorites with overall comfort and ease of use winning out over ultimate sound quality. I don't like things in my ears so even though I stick my Custom 2 in on a regular basis I think I'd be happier with one of the Image models (someday...).

The Image X10 are stil the most comfortable and easiest to use. They're just so small and light they're a lot easier to forget they're in your ears.

The Image X5 are pretty close behind comfort wise and to me sounded better. I didn't really compare the X10 and X5 as much as I'd liked to as the time really flies at the Pilgrimage, my daughter was reluctant to give up the X10s, and a good chunk of time was lost as switching tips from either my Custom 2 or the demo X10's to the X5's I didn't get the ear gel locked onto the nozzle and got it stuck in there really deep. Professor Thump was able to graciously extract it within a couple of minutes, nothing he hadn't seen before though I think he said he's not sure he's seen one in so deep [:o] ... maybe my head really is hollow? (This was totally my fault as I forgot to make sure the ear gel was locked onto the nozzle as the manual and other instructions are pretty clear on locking the ear gels on the nozzle - I just got a bit careless)

The Image X5 to me sounded better with better clarity in the highs. A lot better obviously than my Custom 2. I think the bass was also as good as the Custom 2, maybe even better, but in the short time I tried 'em I didn't notice that it was deficieint.

I also didn't notice that the bass in the Image X5 was deficient compared to the X10 but didn't compare quite as much as I'd have liked. But the highs in the X5 were still noticably clearer to me than in the X10. I think Professor Thump (who knows and loves bass obviously) had said the X5 sounded clearer in the highs and with a more forward sound character. In any case for the brief time I tried things out, the X5 win out for me in sound quality.

The X10 though I think are still a bit easier to use and maybe more comfortable. While the X5 are still pretty small and lightweight the X10 are insanely small and light weight.

And the best news, the X5 list at $100 less. That might even buy an inexpensive headphone amp (or maybe not I can't remember where they start cost wise) or at least a few CDs.

The biggest problem with the X5 compared to the X10 is that for people with really tiny ear canals such as my daughter and I suspect Amy the X5 may be just a little too big to get a good seal as deep as they fit into one's ear. My daughter got the best seal with the extra small gels but the X5 body was too big using the extra small gels. I suspect others with small ear canals would have the same problem. I think Professor Thump said that most women preferred the X10 - maybe women typically have smaller ear canals?

Another awesome product to the Klipsch line up. The Images were a lot closer but as the X5 don't work for my daughter I'm back thinking the Image X10 is the most sensible. (No way am I going to get a set of Images she can't use and well, 2 pair just aren't going to happen real soon.)

• 2 weeks later...

You sure you don't work for the company? [;)]

I missed the chance to hear them. I came into that room to find Prof. Thump showing them off to various people, indeed...I think you were in there at the time with your daughter.

I don't work for Klipsch.

I guess I'm enthusiastic about the headphones because I normally listen to music while I work, more as background music, but a lot more than I manage to listen to music with speakers. The Image models seem easier to use and more comfortable to me so the X5 are pretty exiting as they cost less than the X10 and sounded better to me - though maybe not as insanely comfortable and as easy to use as the X10 but a big improvement over my Custom 2 in both categories and better sound as well.

Probably won't be able to get any Images very soon but would still get the X10 if I could as the body of the X5 is too small for my daughter's ears who found she requires the extra small gels for the Image models.