Surrounds for Cornwalls

MadDawg

I was recently lucky enough to be able to purchase a pair of Cornwalls and a KLF-C7.

Now I must find a suitable set of surround speakers. I need to be able to mount the surround speakers on the rear wall of my family room. My sofa sits against this wall, but I usually move my chair to the optimum listening position well in front of the rear wall. Floor standing speakers won't hack the WAF.

From reading the different posts here, it appears that an acceptable choice would be the RS-3. I saw a pair of KSF-S5 surrounds fosale. Since these are significantly cheaper than the RS-3 -- meaning that I could get them now -- would the KSF-S5s match with the Cornwalls and the C7 or is it just better to bite the bullet and save more money for a set of RS-3s?

Is there a better choice that would be wall mountable, pass the, "It must look good" WAF, and still be in the price range of the RS-3 or below.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

MadDawg

This message has been edited by MadDawg on 01-23-2002 at 12:46 AM

Yes, I have considered ceiling mounting. My main concern is the tensil stress on the mounting screws vice the shear stress on the screw if wall mounted. I guess the smart thing to do would be to make a mounting board for the speaker that could then be attached to two ceiling joists.

In the rudementary days of pro-logic, I did mount two car speakers in my ceiling -- another house -- and they did the job well for their capabilities.

Now I'm just trying to get a set of surrounds that will do the job at a price that I can afford and sound good with the Corns.

For pure tonal match it's hard to beat Heresy's of the same vintage. However, they do weigh in at about 50 pounds. I have found that tonal match for surrounds is not as important as it is for the front speakers. Afeter all they only provide ambient sound in most movies and in some movies there is next to nothing for surround effects. That being said the KSP-S6 would be an excellant choice. They provide wide dispersion and flexible placement options. I'm not sure but they may now be discontinued so finding a pair (used or new) may be a challenge.