Headphone Demo for Pilgrims

Professor Thump

If you were not here for the Pilgrimage June 20th, 2008, you missed out on a lot of cool demo's. For those lucky enough to attend we set up a Palladium P-39F set with McIntosh tube amplification. SWEET!

Simultaneous to this demo we had a couple of choice RudiStor headphone amplifiers.

The amp rack to the right shows the digital media server with the Crest amps. The rack on the left is for headphones.

post-20592-13819381411946_thumb.jpg

post-20592-13819392824666_thumb.jpg

On the headphone rack is our new display showing 4 out of our 5 headphone models. Image X5 was just announced at CanJam08 so the display does not reflect this new model addition. Below the display, pilgrims were able to audition two RudiStor amplifiers. If you haven’t heard these beauties before, these are Italian crafted designs for premium headphones. The RP5.3 utilizes a vacuum tube front end on the preamp stage. The NX-03 is a simpler clean design.

If you like tubes, you will love the RP5.3… clean and simple. I really like the buttery smooth vocal that these tubes can produce.

Thank to Rudi Stor and Alberto Gomez for allowing us to audition this supreme gear.

post-20592-13819381412596_thumb.jpg

post-20592-13819392825366_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I didn't really try the headphone amps at the Pilgrimage. My daughter and myself checked out the Image X5 and Image X10 out in the engineerring work area at a work bench using our normal Creative Labs mp3 players.

Might be a good thing as by not really trying out the headphone amps I don't yet know how bad I need one. I had also assumed that the sources were connected to the Palladiums up front and didnt' bother to ask if they were independent but I suspect also could've hooked our mp3 players into the headphone amps. Of course then I may have found out the deficiencies in said mp3 players and mp3 music files. I also didn't want the room sound to interfere with our headphone demo but that would've been good for testing the seal and noise isolation.

Those headphone amplifiers sure do look pretty and I be they sound as good as they look. Maybe next time.