Advice on new Caps for AL crossover

kg4guy

I just bought a pair of LaScalas w/ the AL crossover, but mine don't have the zeners. Go figure. They too probably need to be rebuilt, though it might be better to just build up a set of AA's. Still, It makes me wonder how many rev. levels they have for the AL and if the schematic/component values are the same.

I just bought a pair of LaScalas w/ the AL crossover, but mine don't have the zeners. Go figure. They too probably need to be rebuilt, though it might be better to just build up a set of AA's. Still, It makes me wonder how many rev. levels they have for the AL and if the schematic/component values are the same.

I think I am going to go with Solens with Harmony bypass caps on the 2 and 8's and a G.E on the 30

Before you guys go crazy replacing the caps on the AL, please search the old threads about the AL crossover.

There are those who felt this early version was not well designed and that the later ALx series was better (or an alternative design altogether).

A different or updated design may provide a much greater improvement. It is worth searching the old threads.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Before you guys go crazy replacing the caps on the AL, please search the old threads about the AL crossover.

There are those who felt this early version was not well designed and that the later ALx series was better (or an alternative design altogether).

A different or updated design may provide a much greater improvement. It is worth searching the old threads.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thanks Tom I am going to rebuild the AL's and build some A's and put both in so I can switch them around if I want as there is plenty of room for both in the La scalas[:o]

I'll get those parts off to you as soon as I find a box! I think I have a couple of 2uf caps around here, but the autoformers and the chokes for the woofer are set to go. The type 'A' is a snap to build, and to me sounded much more open after I compared it to the AL (which I had liked at first, but which I quickly learned sounded very closed-in and 'dense' compared to the more simple 'A.'

Erik