Forte I, center and surround questions

t-man

Hey gang,

I may be able to get a pair of Fortes, but my other half won't let me keep the KG 5.5s if I do. Therefore, I have to decide which one is best.

I have a C7 that I could use for the Fortes. Does anybody suggest otherwise (an Academy is really out of reach)? I also have a KG 2.2V that I could use, and was wondering if that would match "OK" as well. Any experience out there?

How about rear channel speakers. I imagine the Heresey II would be the best match, but I simply do not have room for those things. I was wondering if my KG1s would be OK for this application.

Finally, I might have to magnetically shield the Fortes. One will need to be fairly close to the TV. Are the parts still avail to do this? If so, how much, and has anybody modified these yet?

The more I type, the more it sounds like a pain to replace the KG 5.5s, which I like alot. Should I expect more from the Fortes?

Thanks,

T-man

Good morning Troy. I would like to give you the benefit of my experience with the KG5.5's.If you REALLY REALLY like the sound of the KG5.5's,then help them out.A fantastic sounding HT system can be assembled around them.

Use the C-7 center (you have that).

Get RS-3's or comp WDST/dipoles (Haven't tried my KT-DS's yet but should work well).

The Kilpsch SW series II subs are great for the price(get SW12II or SW15II)

If you receiver has pre-outs,buy a 5-channel amp(Acurus 125Five on E-bay around $650).

Believe me,it would cost mucho more $$ to beat a finely tuned system built around the KG5.5's.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Keith

Yea Keith,

I do like my KG 5.5s, and I'll probably like them more once I move them into the bigger room, where I'm relocating my HT. Can't help but thinking that a nice 3-way like the Forte would be better. I will use the C7 once I upgrade my TV. For now, the wife won't let me put it on top of the entertainment center b/c it's too big. The 2.2 fits snug on a shelf above the TV.

RS3's, huh? I wouldn't think that would timbre match very well with the KGs. I really like my directs that I have now. In the new room, however, they will be placed further behind the listening position and higher up. More like a rear speaker, and less like a side speaker config, which I have now. When I heard the RS3s at Tweeter, they were up high on the rear, and I really didn't like the effect at all. I really don't have an option to place on the side of listening position due to open wall on one side of couch.

The other thing is music. I've really gotten into this multichannel thing, and it's great. Don't want the rears to sound "funny" with my mains.

Unfortunately, my receiver does not have pre-outs.

T-man