How to wire a 5.1 HT?

uclk

Hi guys,

First, I have never set up a hoem theater before, so this is a 101 question. I have just bought everything listed below. Now to set them up, I need some good wires and cables. I have heard Monster is pretty good. But I really don't quite know what kinds of wires/cables I should buy for all the connections. Any comments are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

uclk

------------------

Developing System:

Onkyo TX-DS797

Onkyo DV-S555

Klipsch RF-3 II

Klipsch RC-3 II

Klipsch RS-3 II

SVS 16-46CS (Subwoofer)

Samson S700 (Amplifier)

Sony KV32-FV27

Hey buddy whats up. Monster Cable is good also for a

little less Acoustic Research is good too. I bouhgt

all my cables for a good price from www.accessories4less.com

You will need 16 gauge speaker wire possibly 12 for

your mains Im not sure what is recomended.

Run these straight out of the reciever for right left

center and rear. Then for the sub I have never used

or setup an SVS (THERE AWESOME I HEAR!) I would assume

your run an RCA from the LFE/SUB out on your reciever

to the input on the amp if theres 2 inputs like left

and right i would get a splitter too. then run a decent gauge

wire from the amp to the sub probaly 12

Guage or more maybe 10. ( guys feel free to chime in if

theres a better way )

My info should be pretty accurate but if not im sure

one of the guys here will help u out this board has alot

of nice good people.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

This message has been edited by QUiKSR20 on 01-24-2002 at 02:32 PM

Don't worry too much about keeping the wires lengths the same, some say you should keep them all the same length but there is no way the human ear can tell a lag in setups such as this.

if you have extra cable, do not wrap it up and like twist tie it, that can cause it to act like an antenna and start to pick up radio stations. just bunch it up or cut it short. Do not run it along a power cord also, or twist it along other wires... this could cause the mixing of channels, mostly only with cheap speaker wire.

Monster cable is good, but to me over priced. AR (Acoustic Research) is a good alternative. MegaCable from Radio Shack is i think the same as Monster Cable, that is what I used, it is really cheap. http://www.partsexpress.com/ has a great selection of speaker wire, and is quite cheap. As long as you have at least 16 guage, the lower the better so i would get some 12 guage if possible.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Thanks, guys. What about cables between DVD player and Receiver, Receiver to TV? I have S-Video cables right now. Do I need to upgrade to component cable or the difference is minimal? Thanks.

Wei

------------------

Developing System:

Onkyo TX-DS797

Onkyo DV-S555

Klipsch RF-3 II

Klipsch RC-3 II

Klipsch RS-3 II

SVS 16-46CS (Subwoofer)

Samson S700 (Amplifier)

Sony KV32-FV27

Does your TV have component video inputs? If so, I'd suggest using it instead of S-Video. I a/b tested that connection and in my case the component provided more natural colors. You can use any cable you want, but the Radio Shack "gold" a/v dubbing cable works just great -- it is 3 coax cables connected together, just like a component video cable.

Doug

------------------

My System

What a bunch of cheapskates you guys are. Buy good cables, don't mess around with radio shack stuff. I don't understand why someone will buy all this expensive gear and skimp on cables. If you have to get cheap ones to get you by, fine. But when you can afford to get better ones, do it. Once you have good cables, you never have to worry about upgrading, etc. The peace of mind alone of knowing you have good stuff is worth it. Yes you will definitely notice a difference with component cables. You also need a digital cable to go between the DVD and Receiver, either Digital Coax, or Optical. As far as QUIKSR's hookup suggestion, I'm not sure why you would want/need speaker wire to the sub, if you already have a RCA out to it.

------------------

My Home Theater

Hey guys,

Thank you for all your inputs. I bought some Monster XPHP speaker wires from BestBuy. Then found they are actually 16 gauge! I feel they are too thin. Should I return them and go for 12?

My front speakers are 6 ft away from receiver(The XPHP wire I use is 10 ft long). Surround ones are about 20 ft away(wire length 30 ft). Subwoofer(passive) is 8 ft away(wire length 10 ft).

If I need to go for 12(or 14), for Monster brand, should I get Z1 or MC? Thanks. I really appreciate your time and comments.

uclk

------------------

Developing System:

Onkyo TX-DS797

Onkyo DV-S555

Klipsch RF-3 II

Klipsch RC-3 II

Klipsch RS-3 II

SVS 16-46CS (Subwoofer)

Samson S700 (Amplifier)

Sony KV32-FV27