JL Audio f113 or the thx ultra 2 sub woofer system

Mark Casto

The TC Sounds drivers IMO are the finestsubwoofer drivers designs with the Acoupower.

TC Sounds measure spot on or close and in the case of the LMS-5400/Ultra are a reference. The LMS-5400 15 and even more so the 18" trounces the Klipsch THX driver. I think the LMS-5400 was not optimised to extract the highest SPL and the Klipsch is better optimised(as a whole,driver/cabinet/amp).

There is no way the little 12 even comes close to a TC-3000 15" if both drivers sit in optimised boxes and are ported as not to limit performance in the audible range.

Of course anyone would take an Ultra system (two subs and the amp) versus a single driver. [:P] I would too. Imagine that.

Similar,of course ...well designed quality subs will sound almost identical. It is not like the Ultra THX from Klipsch is some boom box ...

But compared on a driver basis the LMS-Ultra/5400 beats the sub woofers wout of the THX Ultra. And you need two THX Ultra subs to match one LMS-5400 in the real world. I do not care what some company provided...data shows.

Jackson Five yes you would take two $20 dollaz billz fo one $5 dolla bill.So would GWB,and he is not the last word when it comes to quick thinking. [:o]

In any case ...what do I care. I will have by the end of next week TWENTY sealed subs working as one and no commercial will even be remotley close to what I will have. so..[|-)]

• 3 weeks later...

My memory could be shot, but I coulda sworn the Ultra2 spec was 130dB at 30Hz with under 10% distortion...which is what the Klipsch spec sheet is claiming for their Ultra2 system.

I believe the spec calls for 120 db at 30hz with under 10% distortion in a 3K ft^3 room. KW-120s won't hit 130 unless you add more modules (quads perhaps).

But back to the original question...go with the twin KW-120/KA-1000 setup vs. the F-113, no question. Better setup which will actually keep up with the RF-83's dynamically (the F-113 won't).