7.1 speaker match advise needed--Heresey II's

dsommerl

Hello All

Installing a new Pioneer VSX 49TX "THX Ultra 2" recv'r tomorrow----my current set up are Heresey II"s as the front mains with an older KV-3 as the center and SS-1's as surrounds-----so now I need a pair of back channel spkrs----Just spoke with a tech at Klipsch---he said that he liked my current match up--and to only add another pair of SS-1's for the BAcks----his main reasoning was that all would then be paper cones--vs the Reference series---obviously this is my most cost effective solution----but---I am possessed and cost concerns are out the window!

The only given is the Heresy II's as they are a perfect fit for the HT cabinet (also have a Mits 65907)

The Tech also gave me his choices if I went the Reference Series route---RC-3 for the center--and RS-3's for ALL the surrounds---total of 4.

Also have a JBL 12" powered sub in my current set up (will reserve judgement until I audition the new Pioneer 49TX.

So, I welcome all advice on this-----should I just add the SS-1's and save the upgrade $ or GO FOR IT---with the Reference models-----(or something else in the Klipsch line up)

This is a BIG room---27' side wall to side wall and 23' front/back walls ----10' ceiling with some open area to the kitchen and large hallway----sofa sits about in the middle of the room---so desired "sweet spot" is about 11 feet side to side wall and 6' from the back wall---

Whew-----thanks for reading this----and for any replys

Dave S

OK, Dave, how's this? How about ALL Heresy's, all the way around? Perfect timbre match. Pick up 3 pairs (new if you've got the $$, used otherwise), and use 1 for the center (surely you can figure a way to put it there), 4 for the surrounds, and 1 in the closet as a spare.

Nice receiver. Hard to call a $4200 (?) unit a receiver, though!

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks Doug

Fortunately--I bot the Pioneer for about 2500 delivered---so I'm crazy but not 4200 nuts---not yet anyway

Wife won't have all the big Heresy boxes spread out everywhere--plus confined by my cabinet---which I worked my B___ off completing----so need smaller alternatives

Any further ideas?

Tks Dave S

Dave,

For movies, use the RS-3s for surrounds and another Heresy for the center. There are other center options, but I haven't heard them with the Heresy so I can't comment on the match. I had three Heresy IIs up front, with the RS-3s as surrounds, and it was a great setup. I've now got the center Heresy with LaScalas, but I've still got the RS-3s. They're great "little" surrounds.

For music, I'd have to echo Doug's comment about the full-range Heresy all around. If that's not practical, though, I'm pretty happy with my RS-3s even with multi-channel music.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

Thanks Ross

So, you think it's worth my while to trash my pair of SS-1's and buy into 4 RS-3's---have you auditioned the SS-1's??----again, my best cost option is to just buy another pair of SS-1's and be done with it---but per my post---common sense is now out thw window--guess I'll have to go out and hear for myself--if it's worth it

Tks Dave

I agree with Doug and Ross... Making them as much the same all away around really pays off with the movies. But, if a compromise must be made, Ross is on the right track. BUT please do not compromise on your center speaker. Upwards of 75% of 7.1 sound will be coming from the center speaker... it should be the best speaker in your rig. There is no substitute for matching your center "main" speakers to the "center" speaker that has become the true "main speaker" when it comes to 5.1 sound and above.

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, Klipsch SB2 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls & SVS 16-46

Klipsched Motor Home: Still Testing!!!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 01-29-2002 at 02:37 PM

Holy Cow HornEd is back! Yippee!! Anyway I totally agree with him that the match of the front 3 speakers is the most important. I noticed a HUGE improvement when I switched out my RC3 with a Heresy for a center speaker with my Cornwalls. A good center for you would be a Heresy, an Academy, or a C-7. They are all big but I think you will be very impressed with the sound.

I was using RS3 as my surrounds and they worked great while I had them. I now have Heresy surrounds and while they were an improvement it was not nearly as big as replacing the center.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 01-29-2002 at 04:03 PM