Mallete CD's from Pilgrimage

Hello all,

At the pilgrimage I handed out four cd's to as many folks as I could. About 30 in all. I asked every single person to please reply to Dave and let him know your thoughts. I thought this would be a great oppertunity to express your comments, if you haven't already. So let's hear 'em.

I could not attend the pilgrimage yet again, but Dave was nice enough to send me the 4 CDs in the mail awhile back. Although I did write a review already on Clay's earlier thread last month on this subject, most here probably haven't read it yet. So I'll include it here (it's the least I can do):

I received the discs in the mail yesterday; they all arrived in great shape. I fired up my 300B SET amp and let the bottles warm up a bit before playing the first of the set:

1. Stewart Wayne Foster: In Recital, the Dedication of the John Scott Memorial Grand Piano at The Episcopal Church of the Annunciation: From an average listener's standpoint, this recording is every bit as good as any from such big time labels as Dorian or Chesky (IMHO). The piano is properly miked so its full frequency spectrum is fully capitalized, which includes the natural ambiance of the room as well (in essence a sounding board in itself). Close miking properly placed allows the instrument to sound brilliant, dynamic and true, regardless of any squeaks or groans a mechanical device such as this will generate while being played...IMO those extraneous noises (what few are there) are what makes the piano come alive. Overall, this is an exceptional recording to my ears.
  2. Dallas Camerata In Concert, James Rives-Jones, Music Director: The wind ensemble recorded here has a different tonality to my less-than stellar ears. Maybe it's different mics, their placement, or the recording equipment/bit-sampling rate is different from the Foster piano recording...although imaging and soundstage are present, it's just not as dynamic or open sounding as the first disc I auditioned. It's almost as if the recording is somewhat congested or chesty sounding. Maybe it's my playback equipment, I dunno. It's not a bad recording by any stretch of the imagination, just different (a thicker sound to me...I'm afraid the more I try to describe the differences I'm hearing, the more this critique will come off as sounding like a bad review, and that's not the case at all).
  3. A Peasant Celebration, The Hubbard Chamber Music Ensemble, Michele McDonald, Artistic Director: This recording sounds every bit as lively and dynamic as the Foster recital! I can only assume the mics used are the same (or similar) as those used in the piano concert. Definately not chesty or heavy sounding, the instruments here shine; they're clear and exceedingly detailed! Imaging and soundstage are eerie acurate; placement of each musician is clearly defined to my ears...this recording is also extremely enjoyable to listen to thru my Klipsch RB-75s and SET power amp!
  4. Asylum Street Spankers: 8PM Show, Volume 1, Saxon Pub, Austin, Texas: Another excellent live recording...love the naturally dry acoustics of the pub, the tinkling of glasses and the yammering of the well-intoxicated crowd, plus the instruments sound spectacular...the bar was transported into my listening room (without the spilled drinks or the stale smell of cigs lingering in the air)! Only flaws I could detect I don't think were the fault of Dave or his equipment...the 60 cycle buzz to the left that was always apparent throughout the gig from either the florescent lights or the PA equipment, and some of the singers (the female in particular) were somewhat drowned out by the instruments themselves, due to maybe improper on-stage monitor levels. Regardless, this is yet another fine example of Dave's recording method and his Virtual Presence technique!

All I can say is bravo, Dave...bravo!