Center Channel For Forte

LAUREN98

Congratulations on your acquisition of the Klipsch Forte... a pair in oiled oak has been the pride and joy of my system for over 13 years now.

Most people will tell you the Academy (production years 1992-1994) is the best match for the Forte; I have never heard the Academy myself (but I'm in the market for one, if anyone knows where one can be obtained for a reasonable price), but the KLF-C7 seems to be the next best bet. It is not currently being produced, but there seem to be a lot available... just check ebay, and there are around 6 - 10 available all the time lately. They seem to be selling for around $300.

I would strongly advise against going with the RC-3 or RC-7; I picked up the RC-3 (used) a while back, and am not happy with the match... the unit itself sounds ok, but the tone, timbre, whatever you want to call it, does not go well with the Fortes, to my ears.

In fact, if anyone who owns other pieces in the Reference Series is interested in a center channel, my RC-3 is on sale at audiogon.com through the end of the month...

Mike,

Where in Orlando are you? I live in Oviedo and have a pair of Chorus I's and Chorus II's. Like Chuck, I am using a KLF-C7 because the Academy is a very tough find... especially at a reasonable price. It's not a perfect seamless match but it matches up very well with the Chorus's (Forte's big brother). If you feel like dropping by and hearing my setup, just let me know...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

And of course this thread wouldn't be complete without me sticking my nose in to suggest using a single Forte as a center channel. If you have the room above your TV or screen (and I know most people don't), you could position a Forte on its head (so the horns are down near the other speakers) and have a perfect match. Just a thought...

Doug

------------------

My System

Put her on... we'll put in a good word for you!

The best thing is, the KLF-C7 can be had for HALF its original retail price!

BTW, I was very surprised by something when I started to build my HT system, and I can not stress this enough:

If you are going for 5.1 (or 6 or 7.1) home theater sound, the quality of the center channel and its matching the front left and right is very critical; much more so than if you are running 2-channel stereo.

Don't make the mistake I made; I took advice from a showroom Klipsch salesman and bought the RC-3 (not from him, it turns out). He had absolutely no thought of my seeking a better match on the used market. Obviously, he suggested an item that he was in a position to sell. I don't fault him, because that is his job; I just wish I had been told more accurately and directly what I needed to be looking for in a center channel.