upgrade from kg-2.2

mw3

currently have kg-2.2. bought rb-61 cause i felt like it would be an upgrade but the 61s don't seem to sound as good. would ksb-3.1 be better or should i go for rb-81?? any suggestions would be appreciated

I am not very tech on different kinds of Klipsch model speakers so hince the question. Always thought bigger was better. 3.1s are 100 wts, 8'' woofer, less expensive than some of new models and I have a space problem, they fit. 4s and up are just to big. rb-35, rb-61, rb-81 will all fit. didn't think the 3s at 65 wts would be as good??

mike

it is just that the different series of Klipsch speakers sound different...since you seem to like the kgs, I suggested them...but you tried the Reference and didn't seem to like them as much...the KSBs are different still...you need to listen to them to decide if you like them...don't worry so much about the specs...look at the effeciency (dBs available on this website) and go with your ears...I be the KSBs would sound nice...just different than the kgs and the Reference (and the Legends and the Heritage and the extended Heritage...)

Bill

If you like the KG 2.2s, and have no problem buying used (Ebay, Craiglist, Audiogon), then there will be many choices. It seems that lots of people bought Klipsch models in the past, but now are changing their priorities (eg., "My spouse wants little invisible bose speakers" etc.), and consequently are selling off their larger Klipsch purchases. There are many, many KG4s sold on Ebay, usually for $200-300/pr, so good deals abound. The other KG models, 3.2, 4.2. and 5.2, or their updated versions (3.5, 4.5, 5.5) also show up on the used markets several times per year. If you don't mind driving up to 200-300 miles to pick up in person (never have large speakers shipped; too many damaged due to poor packing), then go for these used models. You don't say whether you are upgrading a stereo-only set up, or are building a home theater set up. If the latter, KG4s as mains, a 2.2V for center, and any of the lKG ine as surrounds will make a very nice system.

Thanks for the input.

as I mentioned in my second note, I have a space problem and only some of the bookshelf models fit. rb-61, rb-81, rb-35, ksb-3.1. the kg-3, 3.2, and 3.5 will fit but didn't think the low watts was i wanted. anyway the 61s don't seem to sound as good to me as my old kg-2.2s and was wondering how the 35s, 81s, or ksb 3.1s would be instead? no problem getting on line just need to figure out what will be nicer than my 2.2.

well, you need to listen to how the speakers are voiced...power ratings, dBs or frequency response isn't everything if you don't care for the sound...

kg 2.2 50-20Hz and 93dB

RB-61 43-23Hz and 95dB

KSB 3.1 45-20Hz and 94dB

according to the specs (wattage notwithstanding which does little for sound IMO) your RB-61 should beat the three...however you don't think they sound as nice as your kg 2.2s which are at the bottom, specwise of the three...this says to me that you like how the kgs are voiced over the Reference RBs...that is the reason for my recomendation...I will further muddy the waters though by saying if the price is nice on those LSB 3.1s ($200 or less) and close and in nice condition,,,I would pick them up based on my own KSB 1.1s...using the logic (sometimes flawed) that bigger is usually better and I like my KSB 1.1s...I like my Heritage speakers and even my kgs better...but they are usually always bigger boxes...can you hear the KSBs before you buy 'em???

Bill

I just did the same thing and felt the same way. I have a pair of KG 5.5's and purchased the RB-81's because my wife wanted to downscale the size of the speakers. The RB-81's don't sound as 'full' to me as the KG 5.5's. Although, the RB-81's are impressive and after listening to them for a while I have come to enjoy the sound they put out.

You can push these speakers pretty hard and they keep sounding better as the volume goes up. I had to adjust the gains on my subs and volume levels of the other 3 home theater speakers to better match the sensitivity of the 81's. Once I got everything adjusted right I was pretty happy with the overall outcome.

I have a feeling though that if I biwired them and upgraded my amp, currently a Marantz SR880, they would perform a little better. The RB-81's are rated at 150W RMS and my receiver is running 110W per channel across the front.

Anyway, I still like the sound of 5.5's a little better. Considering I'm comparing a floor stand speaker with two active 10" woofers and a Tractrix horn vs. a bookshelf speaker with one active 8" woofer and tractrix horn, the RB-81's hold their own quite well.