Extra Small Ear Gels With Custom 2

BLSamuel

Our youngest daughter, soon to be 14, required the extra small gels for the Image models when trying them out at the Klipsch Pilgrimage. And claimed that the new Image X5 are too big which is entirely believable as the body is slightly larger in diameter than the extra small gels. Leaves me kind of bummed as I actually prefer the sound of the Image X5 and they're considerable more affordable then the X10 though the X10 are probably more comfortable and way uber cool being so tiny. Needless to say she stuck with the Image X10 and I didn't get to compare with the X5 as much as I'd like....

Anyway. Professor Thump told us to pitch or keep the gels we'd used at the Pilgrimage for our testing so I now have a set of extra small. I figured they might be good to have should I be able to get some Image X10 or X5 anytime soon...

To my surprise, my daughter has been using the extra small gels with my Custom 2. She had been using the small double flange models in the past.

Can her ear canals be that small or shallow to be getting a proper seal?

Anyone else use the extra small gels with any of the Custom models?

• 2 months later...

Professor Thump,

You couldn't possibly know how the Custom 2 fit her as at the Pilgrimage she tried the Image X10 and Image X5 and pretty much stuck with the Image X10 with the extra small gels for our demo time. Is the concha the canal part of the ear?

She said the Image X5 were too big to get a proper seal with the extra small gels. That actually makes sense as the X5 body is just a tad bit bigger than the extra small gels. That does create a problem though as I like the sound of the X5 better than the X10 so if/when I can get an Image model I may have to get the X10 or have a bummed daughter.

I'm still a big fan of the Image models. So much easier to get a good seal. Just stick 'em in and perfect seal and insanely comfortable. I still have the impression from the 2007 Pilgrimage when I tried the IMAGE prototypes - had to turn the volume down really low and pull them out partway to hear the people talking in the room.... still don't get that kind of seal with the Custom 2. Or that kind of comfort. But they still are VERY good.

I haven't really paid attention as to how the Custom 2 actually fit her ears but have found she now uses the extra small gels. Just seemed really odd to me that the extra small would work the best with the Custom 2. Really tiny ear canals I guess. Maybe we should compare with Amy's sometime. I use the large gels and sometimes wonder if I need extra large. I'll have to have her stick 'em in and see how they fit. I think I used the medium or even small with the Image models.