Subwoofer and crossover with amp and RF-83's?(photos added)

freestyle

I have some questions, the crossover thing is confusing. Have a Cambridge Soundworks PSW-1A powered sub. Have a brand new model Sony Amp for now, the str-dg820. Did the auto cal with the mic. Seems to be really good, it picked large for the 83's, the RC-64 and my Cambridge rears.

It told me to put the sub crossover before calibration to the highest setting which is 140. The other settings are 55, 80 and 100. There is no internal amp setting for the sub crossover.

Seems good for BD movies. 300 sounds killer! But I don't get any sub with music unless I set the 83 speaker size to small.

I guess I'm asking, is 140 where that crossover should be with the 83's, and the rc64? Does it make sense that I need to turn the 83's to small for music to get the sub to kick in, but I don't have to for BD movies?

For movies are you 83 owners setting them to large or small?

Thanks for any help in advance.

I have mine set to small with the xover set at 80Hz. My sub kicks on during both HT and 2ch.

I am running the 35's, like Youthman I have mine at small and all at the same level but my xover is at 90Hz. I have tried 80Hz but preferred 90. personal preference.

My sub works well on both HT and 2ch. I'm not sure on the Sony but Yamaha has an option for bass and I have mine on Sub only, I can select sub and speakers but prefer Sub only - maybe if you have this option try it and see how you go.

Hey guys, thanks! I just was going to post that me and my buddy listened to 300 and Spiderman 2 & 3 and we both totally thought they both sounded so killer with the fronts set to small! Sounds so amazing I can't even believe it! Although it defaults the RC-64 to small as well. I guess it's all good though.

So, my other question is...If you set the crossover on the sub to lower rather than higher does that make the 83's and 64 have a little more bass back to them?

I'm working on pics of my setup!

Hey Youthman......Yeh, I'm gonna mess with tilting up the 64 and toeing in the 83's. Right now the 83's are straight, I think my wide angle lens distorted them a bit to make them appear like they are toed out but they are not. I'm loving this setup with my sub hooked up....The sound difference and 3D like openness with the 83's on small with the sub is amazing!

Hey man....Well, changing them to small was night and day...Like amazing! I totally would have thought they should be large but not even close. It's like my sub wasn't even kicking in with them on large. On small it sounds sick! Last thing I would have expected.