Help Me Fix My KG4.5

tom b. 57

I bought a pair of KG4.5's for a really low price and the reason is because one of the cabinets rattles during low frequencies. I took out the drivers and plastic port and found that the motor board is not attached securely to the right side panel. They are obviously glued together and I am thinking that the fix should be easy. Is there glue in a syringe or something like that that can be bought and used for this situation? I can get my hands on some clamps so I think I can do this easy enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

Gorilla Glue (expanding poly glue) will hold very strong...just don't get any on the finish. You may need to buy an applicator to get it into a small slit like that OR you can take the entire motor board off and glue the whole thing.

As with any glueing, you want to wet both surfaces with glue before clamping, and clamp tightly and evenly along the enitre glued interface. Use wood blocks to spread the pressure of the clamps if necessary.

Gorilla glue can be wonderful in the appropriate application. It has a consistency of honey and sticky like epoxy from the bottle. Then it foams (expands) and hardens to a tough white mass. I''l call it hardened epoxy shaving cream. It is smelly, sticky, and tough to clean up before it dries.

Read the directions. They suggest some moistening of a surface. A little dribble of water into the crack is enough.

I'd say you have to put the speaker box on its back and then try to force something into the gap. I wonder if the Gorilla Glue is going to foam up too much and be difficult to control.

I have an alternative. Titebond II yellow glue. This is much more benign and will eventully dry to a plastic mass. The dispenser has a chisel tip which is just right for injecting it into gaps. (You'll see this is part of the mechanism which seals the tip of the applicator, so you have to watch that.)

Then you can wipe off the excess with a wet paper towel. Gorilla Glue is, again, more like sticky epoxy.

Clamping is good, when you can do it; and necessary when there is stress on the joint. Both Gorilla Glue and Titebond form enough of a solid mass that it might not be necessary if you're just filling a gap.

Wm McD.

Thank you guys for the info. I tried Gorilla Glue and clamped. I had difficulty working with the messy stuff but avoided getting any on the outside of the cabinet. I was only able to get a little bit of an area without help. I will test tomorrow and see if it did the trick. If it didn't then I might try the Titebond. It sounds like that stuff might be easier to work with.

Wish me luck.

Thanks again, Tom