Preference on 7.1 setup

erikill

I ended up getting some RB-75s from my rear-back channel. It makes a difference in having some good sound right behind me now. When I put on some MHD and switch it to 7.1, wow do they sing.

My question is currently I have some RS-7s sitting wider than the RB75s. Should I move them to be more in the middle of the room now (a surround A) type position?

I did for fun make the RB-75s my front B, and wow those things are AWESOME for bookshelfs. Too bad theyre just surrounds :-P

Did you leave your bookshelves right behind you? Problem is my room is not very deep, but it's wide. So 2 ft behind me is not going to be possible. Will it be better to wall mount them versus the stands since I can't do that?

Did you leave your bookshelves right behind you? Problem is my room is not very deep, but it's wide. So 2 ft behind me is not going to be possible. Will it be better to wall mount them versus the stands since I can't do that?

My rear bookshelves are up high but angled down toward the listeners.

Are you asking about wall mounting the rears or sides?

I don't have the links handy, but both Dolby and DTS offer guidance on their websites for where to put things. Hypothetically it is best to cross reference Dolby, DTS, and the THX guidelines, since supposedly these are the parameters the engineers should have in mind when mixing the soundtracks. When I was planning my room, I recall finding the "2' above the ear" and so forth on the DTS site, and I'm happy with the results.

the 2' above "listing position" is usually 5' off the floor. that also takes into consideration that you have a normal seating area and are not sitting in chairs 3' off the floor. the difference between dolby and thx is the rear two speakers. dolby gives an angle for their placement and thx wants them with in a few feet, if i read that part correctly. i will let the THX guy on the forum give the absolute dimention on those rear speakers.

Right - currently the RS-7s are on stands 36" high - equal to ear level. So it seems it would be better to leave the RB-75's at ear level right behind me, and wall mount the RS-7s at 5' on the wall?

I've played with the receiver a bit to tweak it, but I'd like to get it perfect :-P