Set Up Help!!!

jbd

I just finished having everything connected, and I have played around with some of the features. I have not yet done the set up with the mic that came with the Onkyo receiver, but I have a few questions.

1) I am getting nothing out of my sub, not even faint bass. I tried a CD and movie in different listening modes. It is wired properly and selected as "yes" on the receiver. Any suggestions?

2) What mode should I watch movies on to maximize the 7.1 surround? TV watching for ball games?

3) Should I run the automartic set-up or do this manually?

Just a few of what I hope is not too many questions.

• Like 1

Run the setup. I would then manually set all speakers to small, and depending on your crossover options for your receiver set accordingly. I would set fronts and center for 80hz, and your surrounds greater than 100hz since you are running quintets. Probably 110 hz. Report back any findings. The sub should output a test tone during the auto setup.

this is totaly weird.

you should have one rca lead either a Y rca to go into L & R input of sub and then sub out in Onkyo or just a single rca lead from onkyo out to sub (try the L input) make sure that you have at least one light on the sub to show that it is receiving power to it.

I would run the test again with the rca lead in the L in on sub and makesure your connections are good, your onlyo manual should say where your crossover and phase should be for the auto calibration (mic set up)

Make sure that there is power going to the sub, not signal but power to start off with, like a red light or something

Also what Sub are you using?

Okay- after a little human error, I got the sub working. Now what should it be set at on the 2 dials in the back of the sub, and on the receiver. I know this has to do with bass preference, but what us kind of standard?

• Like 1

Sorry I should have stated this before you ran the setup on your receiver. Set the lowpass on the sub to 120hz, and your gain to about the half mark. Then you will need to run the receiver setup again to level match your sub output with the other speakers. When you initially ran the setup, what did the receiver set for your crossover? Did it set your speakers as small?

• Moderators

Okay- after a little human error, I got the sub working. Now what should it be set at on the 2 dials in the back of the sub, and on the receiver. I know this has to do with bass preference, but what us kind of standard?

I have my Onkyo set to 80Hz for the sub and the crossover on the back of the sub set to 80Hz.

I am glad you got it working and all is ok.

OK - I have my crossover dial on sub all the way as far as it goes, and the phase dial on sub about 1 o'clock.

Your crossover on receiver should be at or around 80Hz, I have mine at 90Hz but this is just a personal preferance.

As for the base output I have mine on Sub only and all speakers set to small.