FWIW: Sound Cards other than Creative

flatgrass

I know most here on the forums are moving to off-board DACs, but for those still interested in PCI sound cards or looking to put together a HTPC, here is a possibility other than the ubiquitous Creative cards. Onkyo sound cards.

I am only using the SE-90 for two channel playback, but it made a significant improvement over my current card. I have never run sound through the on-board solution)

Enjoy

EMU makes some great cards. They're now owned by Creative, but make the same cards. The 0404 and the 1212m are great cards. The 0404 is one of the best bangs for the buck, IMO.

There's also a budget card that blows away the TBSC for $25, it's the Chaintech AV-710. If you can find one, that thing is really pretty decent for a budget card.

Obviously RME makes a decent soundcard, and I've heard mixed reviews on M-Audio.

If you want the best SQ from a computer, obviously, you'll need to get a DAC. Head over to Head-Fi.org and you can find loads of info on that.

I actually replaced a Chaintech AV-710 with the Onkyo SE-90. Significant improvement on volume. I suspect the Onkyo output amps are an improvement. There also seems to be less noise/hiss also. Of course, it was a good 6x times the cost.

Am hanging on to the Chaintech for general purpose, though.