Hurd's Mini Beast "Big Pictures"

Jay481985

You cannot egg me, 3 PR's ooooh one active with three PR's ...ooooh. Three PR's not the best idea to have a balanced design, opposed PR's in pairs the the ideal solution,while the dislpacement of two PR's might not ne enough at tune to fully take advantage of the driver's capabilities..then 3 PR's is fine.

exactly, two prs are not enough.

In the perfect world two opposed actives would work with opposed pairs of passives(PR's).

We do not live in a perfect world, sorry physics world

The perfect sub uses no PR's or ports,or aperiodic vents. Sealed ,and opposed firing. Both drivers getting an identical signal. Box build like bee hive with interlocking braces all around. This design ...I have yet to see one sub built like this,as the complexity(read time it takes to build) makes it very time consuming and not really a must.

How is that perfect? How is any subwoofer perfect? They all have their pros and cons. Sealed is very inefficent. Also the perfect box would be a sphere, the ideal material would probably be a carbon based material.

I mwill build one during my Christmas vaccation a SUPER box just as a showcase and have a local cabinet maker finish it in bird eye maple(done right it is a sight to behold). We are talking ~$1200-1800 for the finish alone.Slanted baffle, 4.5" thick,2.25" thick walls and 3" thick rear with a matrix type bracing,braced each 5 inches in each direction.

Why not just make it out of aluminum or concrete, as those two are sonically better (aluminum needs dynamat or something) than any wood. Then veneer it.

Perfect for the human hearing,a sealed sub done right has one major issue less to deal with PORT. Ports and PR's add non linearities to the table,a sealed is more predictible.The air spring distortion a non issue for a properly optimised sub not pushed where it should not be.

The lack of efficiency is a non issue for those with proper funds, hear that a NON ISSUE. You use multiple drivers backed by proper amplification and signal shaping devices to get extreme ULF. ULF you CANNOT with a ported design as size will get out of hand.

A concrete cabinet is not practical due to weight mostly, with a high quality birch of the right thickness and braced where needed you can achieve a very inert cabinet. No sonic signature will be heard,caused by cabinet vibrations. Measured yes,audible not. Not all that can be measured can be heard.Wasting time to fight the inauible is pure foolishness. [;)]

Perfect for the human hearing,a sealed sub done right has one major issue less to deal with PORT. Ports and PR's add non linearities to the table,a sealed is more predictible.The air spring distortion a non issue for a properly optimised sub not pushed where it should not be.

Who has perfect human hearing? I surely do not as you surely do not, I had my ears checked a year ago and I pretty much can hear 24 hertz to 21000 hertz with big + - factors.

Awell made port or pr should be pretty linear until it is out of tuning point, then it drops rather fast but a well made subwoofer with port or pr factors that in alredy and should have some sort of high pass limiter. Also I know you will bring up the mention that well a sealed subwoofer can go deeper at some ridiculous hertz like 1-15 hertz but then again who can hear that when its about oh -30 db from the rest of the subwoofer? I cannot even hear 15 hertz, and I am pretty sure you cannot either unless its like 140 db.

The lack of efficiency is a non issue for those with proper funds, hear that a NON ISSUE. You use multiple drivers backed by proper amplification and signal shaping devices to get extreme ULF. ULF you CANNOT with a ported design as size will get out of hand.

Proper funds? Call it a waste of money when you need to call an electrician to put in a 30 amp circuit breaker. Okay, I put 10000 watts into a subwoofer that is sealed because I want to beat a ported subwoofer that only needs 2000 watts to do the same thing, yeah. great. really. I bet you have more cubic inches of enclosure than the room itself. ULF sure you can port it using a LLT design.

A concrete cabinet is not practical due to weight mostly, with a high quality birch of the right thickness and braced where needed you can achieve a very inert cabinet. No sonic signature will be heard,caused by cabinet vibrations. Measured yes,audible not. Not all that can be measured can be heard.Wasting time to fight the inauible is pure foolishness. Wink

Not practical? For Mr. Adequate Funds, why the hell not? Lets face the facts, if you want to make an ultimate subwoofer enclosure its not wood. Wood flexes, hell mdf is better for speakers as it has less microscopic voids in the wood than even the best baltic birch ply.

Also you about pretty much flip flopped both ways in your arguement, saying you want the best subwoofer possible even you admit to saying that "Wasting time to fight the inauible is pure foolishnees." How about this, I bet you cannot tell the difference in a blind test between a sealed subwoofer and a proper ported subwoofer.

So the ear, go make a concrete spherical subwoofer that uses "1 gauge" wiring and 20000 gigawatts of power then I might say you have the best subwoofer.

Who has perfect human hearing? I surely do not as you surely do not, I had my ears checked a year ago and I pretty much can hear 24 hertz to 21000 hertz with big + - factors.

Awell made port or pr should be pretty linear until it is out of tuning point, then it drops rather fast but a well made subwoofer with port or pr factors that in alredy and should have some sort of high pass limiter. Also I know you will bring up the mention that well a sealed subwoofer can go deeper at some ridiculous hertz like 1-15 hertz but then again who can hear that when its about oh -30 db from the rest of the subwoofer? I cannot even hear 15 hertz, and I am pretty sure you cannot either unless its like 140 db.

Proper funds? Call it a waste of money when you need to call an electrician to put in a 30 amp circuit breaker. Okay, I put 10000 watts into a subwoofer that is sealed because I want to beat a ported subwoofer that only needs 2000 watts to do the same thing, yeah. great. really. I bet you have more cubic inches of enclosure than the room itself. ULF sure you can port it using a LLT design.

A concrete cabinet is not practical due to weight mostly, with a high quality birch of the right thickness and braced where needed you can achieve a very inert cabinet. No sonic signature will be heard,caused by cabinet vibrations. Measured yes,audible not. Not all that can be measured can be heard.Wasting time to fight the inauible is pure foolishness. Wink

Not practical? For Mr. Adequate Funds, why the hell not? Lets face the facts, if you want to make an ultimate subwoofer enclosure its not wood. Wood flexes, hell mdf is better for speakers as it has less microscopic voids in the wood than even the best baltic birch ply.

Also you about pretty much flip flopped both ways in your arguement, saying you want the best subwoofer possible even you admit to saying that "Wasting time to fight the inauible is pure foolishnees." How about this, I bet you cannot tell the difference in a blind test between a sealed subwoofer and a proper ported subwoofer.

So the ear, go make a concrete spherical subwoofer that uses "1 gauge" wiring and 20000 gigawatts of power then I might say you have the best subwoofer.

Wow; who p!$$ed in YOUR wheaties?!?

WTFarguing.jpg?cb=1115204527

We were using it as a reference to, also it was like 4 am or 10 am when I took that picture

GO TO SLEEP KIDS ! yells the grouchy old man in the next room.....naw seriously, I don't think I heard them, until the next morning that is. Looked like a BOMB went off in the front room with parts and bodies lying everywhere the next morning.

Here fore all the self proclaimed bass experts here...here is my newest monster...beats the The Beast from the East and ...the Gotham ...plus Ricci's RE XXX sub !

Without any further wait here it comes...

Why make cabinets of aluminum? A complete waste, well braced ply does the job,and none of you will hear the box in a blind test. That is a guarantee.

Why is sealed better than ported when money is not an object,because you decide if you want to lower the rolloff point by re-adjusting the PEQ/ shelving filter. Sealed offers natural protection for the driver and linear damping a ported lacks below tune.

Back to the Wol Mart sub..so how you people like my new addition? [:P]

Particle board is great for dollar store speakers and the Five Dollar furniture store.

Why make cabinets of aluminum? A complete waste, well braced ply does the job,and none of you will hear the box in a blind test. That is a guarantee.

I think some might be surprised how hot the air got inside the enclosure when we were blasting the driver with insane power....An all aluminum enclosure would provide some killer heatsinking...

[8-|]

Dr Who,

The aluminum enclosure will disipate heat yes it will,a poor heat conducter like a wood product will...very poorly. But ..there are much better ways of dissipating that heat,using heatpipes (from magnetic structure to outside heatsink) would be more effective.

I think Bosso has a design along those lines. And who abuses his drivers for extended periods of time to the point of thermal overdose? You use as many drivers as it takes to make each one sing even on peaks that make you grimace. This is the road I took. [:D] With twenty drivers(ten 15's and ten18's) in a small room the ears will beg for mercy far before any drivers even start working hard.