RC-7's as PC speakers?

el jopez

Thread title literally says it all. I've decideded that due to my limited budget to forget purchasing a set of ifi's and continue to build my modest HT. I have been scouring the net searching for RC-7's and my treasure hunt has payed off so that I will have another if not 2 RC-7's en route for a totall of 3 to play with. But I still need (want) some good pc speakers, and due to space I can't throw just anything in there, but twin RC-7's might work. Any thoughts on this and how to power them?

ould it be adequate in powering them? Of course this will be near field listening so the volume wouldn't be cranked at all. My main concern would be damaging the speakers by underpowering them.

Does anyone else have any further insight or experience in this field?

I used some RF-15s off my PC a while ago, but you need a seperate power amp. At the least a HT receiver. I actually used them at first for two of the channels off of my old PMU 5.1s, but I then got an HK 2 channel receiver. If you go this route, you just need a mini jack (1/8" plug) to RCA cable to go from your sound card to the receiver and your good to go! Hope this helps......

They worked great. I kind of wish I still had them. Even off my less-than-wonderful HK-3380, they were still fantastic. It also helps to have a good soundcard and, in my case since I use iTunes, to have ripped all my CDs at high quality. However, I am a strictly 2 channel guy and they worked great for that.

Currently I am using rb-75 as computer speakers. At school I will use my rf-83 hooked up. I use digital out and send it to my denon 3805 receiver.

There is not problem and vastly superior to any computer speaker setup sold. I recently brought a new tv which is not a cheapo at all (flagship at one point) and I have to crank it up to understand what the actors or people are saying, with the rb75 understandable clear at low volumes even only 2-3 feet away.

Jay I would have entertained the thought of the 75's as PC speakers, but they were to much for my tastes in a close listening field. If they work great, but I think I need something a little less forward and "big"; and here I go using RC-7's. Whats wrong with me.

would it be adequate in powering them? Of course this will be near field listening so the volume wouldn't be cranked at all. My main concern would be damaging the speakers by underpowering them.

As you said, this is near-field monitoring. The power requirements will be much lower. I've used RC7 in my HT powered by a Harmon Kardon AVR130 (5x30watts) (powered sub of course) and it works just fine in a decent sized living/dining room area. They could use more power on really loud HT sounds like in Alien or Star Wars, but for near-field, anything in the 30-75 watt range should be more than adequate.

I suggested the Crown D60/45/75 because they are small, run cool, can be had relatively inexpensively, very conservative specifications, extemely reliable and sound decent ~ certainly better than my Harmon Kardon AVR130.

Jay I would have entertained the thought of the 75's as PC speakers, but they were to much for my tastes in a close listening field. If they work great, but I think I need something a little less forward and "big"; and here I go using RC-7's. Whats wrong with me.

Well I think the rc-7 and the rb-75 are very close, hell the rc-7 probably has more bass. If you unscrew the horn and turn it the other way like some forum mebers have done, you can put the rc7 upright. Also what is wrong with forward and big? Isn't that what you look for when you are buying Klipsch..... Sheesh next thing you will be looking for bose or logicrap.

There is nothing wrong with you.

Well I think the rc-7 and the rb-75 are very close, hell the rc-7 probably has more bass.

If you unscrew the horn and turn it the other way like some forum mebers have done, you can put the rc7 upright.

Yes, the RC7 should go a little deeper and be a little stronger in the bass department.

And that's what I did for the L&R RC7, I rotated the horn 90 degrees so I could use them upright.

Guest srobak

I have a computer hooked up to my flat panel, and play a game or two on it, listen to music, etc... and run it through my HK AVR 645 with RF-35's and Sub12 in 2.1. :) I love it.