Help a noob switch to tubes

jpm

Also check the Garage Sale forum where you can deal directly with forum members selling gear.

The VRDs are seriously cool. I have heard them on two occasions and they are excellent. They are also made by forum member NOSValves. A quick search and you will see results of alot of work he has done. Made In America! Get a good preamp and these will rock.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/108188.aspx

P1040079.JPG

The Wright stuff is good, but for my money the Juicy pre-amplifiers and the NOSvalves amplifiers would be among my very first choices because they were voiced to sound great on big ole horns. They are easily as good as a few other, far more expensive amplifiers I have heard on horns.

I came into a bit of money recently, and am seriously considering making the switch to tubes. I have a 2006 set of LaScalas and a Hsu sub. Currently running Rega SS. I don't want to fiddle fart around modifying old tubed gear, just plug and play. Also, no offense to China, but I want American gear. What about Crites' stuff? Oh, I only want to spend around $3000 total for an amp and preamp. Thoughts? I also don't want to lose that killer tight bass SLAM I get at higher volumes with SS.

$3000 for "Made in the USA" quality?

Well my first impulse would be a heap'n help'n of vintage HK Citation I+II or a Conrad Johnson combo, but since your not interested in messing around too much with older used gear, my best advice would be Ms. EveAnna Manley. http://www.manleylabs.com/hifimain99.html

For ~$2250 you can go integrated (w/ 4 line inputs) via the 40wpc Stingray.(If you dont think 40 watts/ch is going to do it for you with LaScalas, think again!)

If you absolutely won't warm to an "integrated" solution then putting a Shrimp + a pair of Mahi monoblocks on th Bar-B ($4300 total) would probably be my next recommendation, despite going a bit ($1300) over your budget. The good news is these Manley amps really tend to hold up their resale value, so if you wanted to upgrade after a while to a pair of 100wpc Snappers (or better yet the Neo-Classic line) you wouldnt be out that much.

Manley=Top Shelf Gear

JMO

WopOnTour

The Wright stuff is good, but for my money the Juicy pre-amplifiers and the NOSvalves amplifiers would be among my very first choices because they were voiced to sound great on big ole horns. They are easily as good as a few other, far more expensive amplifiers I have heard on horns.

Point to point wired. Made in Michigan. Great bass slam in addition to fine realism and immaging. Whetehr you select stereo or monoblock the musical performance is nearly identiucal.

Blueberry is quite respected around here.