La Scala Re-Do?

tah

I just bought a used pair of La Scala and would like to have them re-finished. If this info exists here, please excuse this post, I read a lot and didn't find what I need.

I'd like to return these speakers to the original light Birch color with a matte urethane finish (or I might go all matte black, still undecided). I'm just not that good with wood so I'm thinking of using a reputable cabinet shop or furniture refinisher.

Question # 1 ) I would like to dismantle the speakers as much as possible to protect the componets, and get better results, especially inside the woofer horn. The tweeter, mid and crossover look easy enough to get out but how do I get to the woofer. (EDIT: I think I figured this one out, through the bottom?) These are the original La Scala's, NOT the II's so there's no removable top. As long as I have them apart I might as well upgrade the crossovers and internal wiring.

Question # 2 ) If you were taking these apart would you replace the woofers as well as add polyfill to lower the bass response?

Question # 3 ) Would you look to upgrade the mid or tweet? I think they sound good now so with new crossovers or a simple re-cap I think they'll do. Your opinions invited.

Tim

First off, as a new forum member, welcome!

To your ?'s,

1.) Yes, as for the dog house bottom, and everything is easy to get to.

2.) I would assume the woofers should look good, and if nothing is wrong, no need to fix it/them. (Save your money) Yes to polyfill, if needed.

3.) This is always a dangerous area.. If you like them pretty much "as is" already... Don't. (Resist "the dark side of the force" LOL) There are many on here with side businesses that do offer x overs, and some others have various levels of expertise and everyone has an opinion. If you hear some thing lacking or not performing well, of course, the answer is to re do them or replace with original parts.

My 2 Cents

Roger

I just bought a used pair of La Scala and would like to have them re-finished. If this info exists here, please excuse this post, I read a lot and didn't find what I need.

I'd like to return these speakers to the original light Birch color with a matte urethane finish (or I might go all matte black, still undecided). I'm just not that good with wood so I'm thinking of using a reputable cabinet shop or furniture refinisher.

Question # 1 ) I would like to dismantle the speakers as much as possible to protect the componets, and get better results, especially inside the woofer horn. The tweeter, mid and crossover look easy enough to get out but how do I get to the woofer. (EDIT: I think I figured this one out, through the bottom?) These are the original La Scala's, NOT the II's so there's no removable top. As long as I have them apart I might as well upgrade the crossovers and internal wiring. 2 thoughts here, depending on the year they were made and the driver compliment there are a number of folks here who can help you with the crossover work by supplying new ones, namely Bob Crites (BEC on this forum). You can also copntact Al Klappenberger (http://www.alkeng.com/) a former member, his networks for the LS are very good IMHO. Or Just have Bob refresh your exisiting networks

Question # 2 ) If you were taking these apart would you replace the woofers as well as add polyfill to lower the bass response? No I would not polyfill the dog house, there is only so much performace in the lower freqs you are going to get and they pretty much reach that in stock form. If you want lower bass the best option is to add a sub, if done correctly your LS will really sing with a sub (I'd recommend the Klipsch THX Ultra II amp sub combo)

Question # 3 ) Would you look to upgrade the mid or tweet? I think they sound good now so with new crossovers or a simple re-cap I think they'll do. Your opinions invited. If I were you I'd think about upgrading the existing K77 tweeter with Bob Crites CT 125, and also get his crossover mod to allow the tweeter to run its fulll range pulling away from the K55/K400 squawker at a lower freq than mormal (@ 4KHZ I think) Another option is to swap out the K400 for sometjhing like the Altec 511B squawker horn, although you will have to sit it on top pf you LS for use as it will not fit in the top section if you run a 3 way rig. You would also need to get an adapter to attach the K55 driver to the 511B, but they are readily available from Parts Express.

Tim

Tim

Where are you located?

Greg