Running projectors outdoors

whamo

I recently purchased an Infocus LP540 from Ebay. I don't have the room right now to set it up permanately. I know that IndyKlipschfan and Colterphoto had a backyard drive in show before. I'd like to do the same thing before the end of summer. My only concern is the bugs. I don't want bugs attacking the lense and getting goo all over it. Will this be an issue? Can a piece of glass be placed over the lense without affecting the image quality too much? This little unit works pretty well so far for me. Mark

I have done this a few times and as recently as last weekend and I have never had this be an issue. Don't wait. Do it. It is so much fun and your guests will be blown away.

I haul the Corns and the H2's and the SVS out in the back yard. I show the movie on a 9 X 5 screen that the original owner of the projector was using in his living room.

I play music all day. I was shocked to discover that this is where my stuff sounds the best. The Corns really open up and are able to stretch their legs as I fill the neighborhood with some sweet sounds.

Add the popcorn machine, and that's what I call backyard movie night.

I've not run it extensively, but I have a home made RP screen made from ripstop nylon tent material... It is just opaque enough to make a good (relatively) high transmissivity screen, and its' weather proof.

Got the idea from a friend, who HAS run his extensively, with great (traffic stopping!) results. It's a kick around Haloween and Christmas. (The PJ is a Barco industrial model, hanging in his garage and shooting out thru a porthole cut into the door.)

A long time ago I was taking the CTA bus home after a stressful day. I looked out and there was the black and white image of a Japanese warrior, with subtitles. My first thought was: This is how a nervous breakdown begins.

This was the first night of the Chicago Park District running movies in the park and this was The Seven Samauri.

My guess is that bugs will not be a problem. But let me suggest a small fan in front of the lense. That might keep bugs from alighting on the lense.

Best,

Wm McD