Updated Heresy Crossover Type E

streyle

I just bought a single Heresy off ebay and opened it up and noticed that the crossover was reworked with what seems to be a flat capacitor. I couldn't read the manufacturer too well, but I wanted to see if anyone else had seen this done before.

Also, I noticed the craft paper that usually lines the speakers (at least in my cornwalls) was removed and the speaker is now filled with a stuffing like material. Should I make any changes to this?

Matt

Yeah, I'll post some pics tomorrow. I e-mailed Bob Crites about it and he mentioned he saw some original crossovers that used yellow flat caps like I'm seeing (The heresy is from 75). It'll make it tougher to recap, but I'll be giving it a shot

The type E is very easy to recap 2- 2uf caps just choosing is always a matter of taste in caps I just today made a type A for my La scalas to test 4 caps Solen ,Kimbers,Sonicaps and Auricaps and they all sounded good however I bypassed all the caps with Dayton Film and Foils except the Auricap .I used alligator clips so I could switch them easy to see what combo I liked .

I just bought a single Heresy off ebay ..... I noticed the craft paper that usually lines the speakers (at least in my cornwalls) was removed and the speaker is now filled with a stuffing like material. Should I make any changes to this? Matt

Matt, if it's a Heresy-I (made until late 1984) there should be no "stuffing". Heresy-II has a single piece of 1" thick open cell foam, the same width as the depth of the cabinet, folded over the woofer in an inverted "U". Some folks cannot tell any difference with or without that foam piece. If you have anything other than the foam piece described, then someone has put something in there. Hope that helps.

I just bought a single Heresy off ebay ..... I noticed the craft paper that usually lines the speakers (at least in my cornwalls) was removed and the speaker is now filled with a stuffing like material. Should I make any changes to this? Matt

Matt, if it's a Heresy-I (made until late 1984) there should be no "stuffing". Heresy-II has a single piece of 1" thick open cell foam, the same width as the depth of the cabinet, folded over the woofer in an inverted "U". Some folks cannot tell any difference with or without that foam piece. If you have anything other than the foam piece described, then someone has put something in there. Hope that helps.

I'll have to experiment with or without the stuffing in there to see if I can tell the difference.