RC-7 with RF-5s

unimorpheus

Question for those using an RC-7 with RF-5 fronts. Do you find that
the RC-7 somewhat over powers the RF-5 horns? I have positioned the
RC-7 along the same plane as the 5s but the 7 will still collapse the
sound stage into the middle. I know I can attenuate the 7 at the
receiver but I like to set everything in the electronics as flat as
possible. I wonder if an RC-3 would have been a better match for the
5s. Just wanted to know if my observations are typical.

Oh, I see you list an RXV3300...

I have a thought...

Did you run that (darned) Ypow setup - It gave me fits in as much as it attenuates here and there and sets a new baseline that it thinks is "flat" but may not sound so, to your ears.

There is a Ypow reset procedure listed somewhere...

Did you use Ypow?

On another note (and having nothing to do with the 7/5/3 question,) How do you like your Monster 5100?

Do you feel it is doing you any good?

I just got one along with an AVS2000 and I have not hooked them up yet...

What might I expect from the 5100?

Noah

Don't know what hppened to my post above? Sorry.

As far as the Ypow thing this receiver was the last model to be released without that feature. I am running the system flat. Don’t get me wrong the RC-7 is a very nice center it just seems to be more efficient than the RF-5s. To answer the Monster power question I am on my second 5100. The first one took a good hit while I was deployed and even though it still appeared to be operational I noticed some of the auto power outlets were not switching reliably and the sub was only getting 70VAC at the outlet. It looks like the 5100 absorbed a nice southern California power surge and scarified itself to save the system. I sent the system to Monster along w/ $150.00 and received a new unit. Considering that I bought the original unit off of ebay with no warranty I did not think this was a bad deal. With the bad power we have in SoCal I would not run my system without it.

Use the YPAO, just don't allow it to do the speaker setup (you can click off portions of the YPAO).

So set up your speakers in proper positions, set all speakers to SMALL 80 Hz xover, then let YPAO do the rest.

Absent YPAO, do the same manual settings and adjust the relative volumes of the speakers, pushing the center 1-2 down in the mix if it still seems overpowering.

There are tons of RC3 and RC3II for sale for a reason, they don't cut it with larger mains. Properly setup that RC7 is the center you should have.