In search of....

billbeau

In search of a sound card that is inexpensive. Must have 2 analog inputs that have a sample rate at 24 bit and 192KHz. Same for output. I saw this one for 149.00

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/

Im also looking for the best audio recording software for recording to computer from LP that does 24 bit and 192KHz sampling.

I am currently using Sound Forge but it only goes to 96KHz. Im looking at Cakewalk but would to see if I may have skipped something better. Im only doing two channels so anything more is a waste.

In search of a sound card that is inexpensive. Must have 2 analog inputs that have a sample rate at 24 bit and 192KHz. Same for output. I saw this one for 149.00
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/

Im also looking for the best audio recording software for recording to computer from LP that does 24 bit and 192KHz sampling.

I am currently using Sound Forge but it only goes to 96KHz. Im looking at Cakewalk but would to see if I may have skipped something better. Im only doing two channels so anything more is a waste.

??? Sound Forge has supported 192 since at least 7. I have both 7 and 9 on various computers. Perhaps it is only offering what your SC will support. I have using SF personally and professionally since 3.0 and found there are no better at the price. With 9 supporting multi channel recording, I have no desire to look at anything else.

ESI makes very fine cards. I have an 8 channel XL I've used to make 24/192X4 channel surround location recordings that are awesome. I've not used the one you mention, but the brand is solid. The new Intel HD audio chipset has a good rep and comes right on the MB. M-Audio makes some very fine cards at low cost. Really quite a feast at the 150.00 or less price point these days.

I am on hiatus from that route for a while since getting the Korg MR-1. I really love 1 bit 2.8mhz both for its sound quality as well as being able to transcode transparently to any PCM format with no change in sound that I can hear aside from, of course, any drop to a lower resolution. Nice to have a totally one button solution that doesn't need Bill Gates.

Dave

Sound Forge 9 does support 192 KHz rates but I am using Sound Forge Audio Studio which only supports up to 96KHz. Maybe Sound Forge 9 is the way to go seeing how I already know how to use the Audio Studio version.

I found the Juli for 132.00 so looks like this card is in my near future as well as a copy of SF9. One thing that does interest me though is that he ESI card is supported by Linux. I would love to start recording using Linux again. I was using Audor under Ubuntu but it is limited to 96Khz so I need another open source application that does 192.

I changed to Microsnot because the Creative Audigy 2 platinum pro is not a well supported card under Ubuntu or Linux for that matter. The on board sound card on this motherboard only does 48KHz so I upgraded to the Audigy and it didnt play nice with Audor. So back to M$ and Sound Forge.