speaker stands

tgourlie

I bought speaker stands for my HII's at Oak Express for 25 bucks each. They are basically oak veneer boxes that raise the speakers 16".

If your speakers are oiled oak, they fit so well that it looks like Klipsch made them that way. I've been told that this might reduce the base output of the HII's, but mine are surrounds & I really can't tell the difference.

Speaker stands should do four things that I am aware of 1) raise the level of the speaker to your ears at listening height 2) keep the speaker cabinet from moving as the speakers themselves vibrate 3) stop the vibrations from traveling to the supporting stand so you don't get unwanted hum.4) keep your speakers from crashing to the floor and totally ruining your whole day.

TKA

I looked around and ended up with some cement outdoor statuary columns. They come in a variety of colors and finishes - not just the gray cement. Maybe $30.00/each with a nice weathered green finish to match my paint.

I cut and placed a piece of cork board between my rb-5's and the cement for finish protection with sound deadening.

Sounds great, looks good (a female friend saw them and called me "shi-shi" - whatever) and you really can't get a more acoustically dead substance than solid cement.

Good find, hooligan - I considered those columns myself and ended up using equally "chi chi" cinder blocks, stacked to the appropriate height, with a protective surface on top and covered the whole thing with a black brushed velvet cover (it matches the curtains across the front of the HT room). When the lights dim, the whole thing just disappears!

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Given that I live in earthquake country, what's the best way to anchor the speaker to the top of the stand? Would a strap around the speaker interfere with the speaker's ability to vibrate? Perhaps there are adhesive foam pads that can be removed without leaving a residue?