Diff. between LaScalas and Belle Klipsch? (more)

emc

I am presently using some electrostatic speakers with my tube power amplifier, and am just about ready to get rid of them.

This has been a good forum, and I've learned a lot. I am interested in trying out some smaller SET style amps, and am looking at going with some of the older design Klipsch speakers, particularly the Belle or the LaScala. (If there are better suggestions, or other ideas, feel free to chime in!) While I do occasionally listen to stuff like Johnny Lang, I listen more often to classical or classic jazz, like Coltrane, Ellington, Davis, Blakey, etc.

I've been looking at some of the speakers for sale on Audiogon and eBay, a local dealer has stated that he will be able to get new LaScalas for about $1500, and the Belle Klipsch for about $2100. These prices don't sound too bad, when I figure in the cost of shipping used speakers. On eBay, someone recently purchased Belles for $1600 (approx.), and with shipping, that wouldn't be much lower than what I have been quoted for brand new speakers. His quoted price on KHorns is $5400. Too much for my blood. While used KHorns appear to go for $1800 to $2100 (from what I've seen), used speakers at higher prices make me very uneasy unless I can actually inspect them. If we were talking about $400-$500, that would be a different story.

At any rate, what is the difference between the Belles and the LaScalas? The Klipsch website shows the same sensitivity, and frequency response. The physical size is the same, and they use the same drivers. Can someone clarify this a little bit?

Thanks,

Ed

Main difference is the Belle comes in a beautiful furniture grade cabinet with grill cloth. Hence the name Belle (beautiful). The LaScala comes in an ugly unfinished birch or black industrial grade cabinet with no grill cloth. I think it was originally intended for places like theaters where it wouldn't be seen. Hence the name LaScala (an opera house/theater in Italy). Bass horn design is a bit different, too.

EMC--Mechanically the speakers are very similar, same drivers and crossover though the Belle uses a different, shallower, midrange horn as the speaker is shallower but wider. IMO the Belle is the best looking speaker ever made. As long as you're open to suggestions I suggest you try some Altec horn speakers such as Valencias, Flamencos, Iconics, Magnificents, Malibus, Model 19s, 604s, 605s or if you don't mind the industrial look A7s, A7-500s or A5s if you're really nuts. IMO these are much smoother and more refined in the midrange than big Klipsches, use better quality parts too. Check them out on ebay, prices seem a little soft lately. JBL made some very fine horns too but there aren't as many out there and they're usually pretty expensive.

The physical size may be similar, but when you put them next to each other there's a significant difference.

The Belle is wider and shallower than the La Scala. In order to make Belle less deep, and thus fit in places where La Scala might not fit, there are two significant differences between them. The drivers (tweeter, midrange and woofer) are the same. The horns to which the drivers mount are different. The tweeter is the same, but the midrange horn on Belle is shorter and flares more rapidly than the midrange horn on La Scala. The bass horn is folded twice on Belle, and only once on La Scala. That is, Belle woofer faces front, sound goes toward front, around corner, toward back, around corner, and out to front - La Scala woofer is mounted facing rear, sound goes towards rear, around corner, and out to front.

They sound much more like each other than either sounds remotely like anything else. Subtle differences in handoff from midrange to tweeter, subtle differences in the way the bass interacts with the mids. Doubt you could tell them apart unless you're a certified Klipsch Krazy with a zillion years of experience.

Appearence of La Scala is definately more towards the "school of industrial design" direction while Belle tends toward Ethan Allen.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I own LaScalas but I have never heard a pair of Belles...I imagine that they would sound remarkably similar...the biggest difference would be the cosmetic styling of the Belle (named after PWK's 1st wife...See Bob G....we're listening!). Both speakers are nearly identical in height but the Belles are over 6" wider and the LaScalas are over 5" deeper. Although both speakers use the same drivers and horns the LaScala's squawker is crossed over alittle lower at 400 Hz compared to the Belle at 500 Hz (not sure why...I assume cabinet volume or the different folded horn design?). Yes... there are many more finishes available for the Belle... but LaScalas can have grilles usually for the HF section only but I saw a pic of a fellow BB member's LaScalas w/ full grilles over the entire front.

I would double check that dealers price on new LaScalas. Last I heard the suggested retail price was $2,700/pair... I doubt anyone could cut $1,200.

The Klipschorn would be the ultimate choice though...assuming $$$ and corners are not a problem for you.

Dave

Ray---I think the difference between the LS and Belle basshorns is simply that the straight, narrow part after the corner on the LS, the part at the back of the doghouse before the big flare; is still going out to right and left on the Belle, then comes the corner and the big flare. Thus the speaker is wider and not as deep. Basically the same horn but laidout differently. The LS woofer fires to the rear into the wedge, the horn splits to right and left and widens vertically, then turns the corner into the tall straight part, then the big final flare. The Belle woofer fires to the rear into the wedge, splits right and left and expands vertically into the tall straight part, THEN turns the corner into the big flare. I've torn into LaScalas and built replicas, never tore into a Belle but I've measured them and inspected them closely with a view to building replicas, reminds me of the old EV Eliminator horn.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 01-29-2002 at 07:44 PM

Well, I had an interesting discussion with the dealer about his pricing. It seems that he was mistaken, and the Belle Klipsch speakers are $2150 EACH. In the same vein, the LaScalas are $1400 EACH. Ironically, the Klipschorns are still $5800 a pair. Needless to say, these prices are out of the question. He also quoted the RF7 speakers at $2000 a pair, and touted these as being better for low end response than the Belle or the LaScalas due to the driver design and it's rigidity.. The RF7s are at the far upper end of what I am willing to spend. I will be doing some more looking around, I guess

I thought that this would be of interest to everyone who was kind enough to respond to the original post.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed - Another fact that I don't think was mentioned, and apparently not by your dealer either, is that except for the Heresy, none of the Heritage line is currently in production due to a parts supply issue. So, he may be making claims he'll have a hard time delivering on. You are left with finding them used, at considerable savings, anyway!

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks for the followup, Doug. He indicated that he spoke with the folks at Klipsch headquarters, and they are supposed to be doing a production run on all three of those sometime in February. So, they would be available, for those willing to pay the price.

Ed

Don't hold your breath. BobG hasn't mentioned anything about them going back into production anytime within the next couple of months. This guy just plans on putting that money in the bank and drawing interest. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. If I were you, I would find another dealer...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems