WE300B tubes/problem?

glee

This is my first post, so please excuse me if this is posted twice.

I just purchased a Cary 300SEI integrated amp and am concerned about the WE300B tubes. In the dark when the amp is on one tube appears mostly clear except for the blue halo around the crown and the orange glow of the filaments.

The other tube, however, on one side of the tube appears to have blue frost ( I know it isn't frost, but that's the best way I can describe it) from theshoulder of the tube to the base. When the amp is off this 'frost' is not visible.

Is this something that I should be concerned about? The tubes are under warranty.

Please forgive my lack of 'technical' knowledge. I am new to this world of tubes.

Thanks...glee

------------------

The votes are in and

the "ears" have it.

Hi glee, welcome to the BB!

I am pretty new to the tube stuff also, but I will pass on to you what I have been told.

I have a pair of 2A3 monoblocks and I upgraded to NOS tubes from Tubeworld.com . When I fired up the tubes for the first time I noticed a "blue glow" at the top of one of the tubes. I called the guy at Tubeworld to see what he had to say about the blue glow. I was told that it does occur expecially in older tubes and is because of stray electrons being excited in the tube, and that if the tube didn't sound scratchy or distorted it was not a problem.

2a3.jpg

As I have put more hours on the tube the blue glow area is larger now than it was but it has quit getting bigger. I now notice a very faint blue glow in the other tube as well if the room is dark. Both my tubes sound fine (to me) so I am not worrying about it anymore.

Neither of my tubes has a "frosty" look. If I were you I would contact the seller of the amp/tubes and see what they say. I would also call a tube dealer like Tubeworld and describe the appearance of your tubes for a second opinion.

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 01-29-2002 at 01:29 PM

Nice shot, ed. Just fired you an email, too.

You know, that is A LOT of blue in that 2A3. Mine are totally devoid of any blue tint while my Sovtek do have a faint hint only seen in complete darkness. BTW, the Sovtek 2A3 is the darkest tube you will ever see! You cant even tell it's on!

In a way, I wish Tube World had taken them back as thay amost seems excessive. I agress though that it is not always bad...and probably not in your case. It is a bit worrisome, though.

kh