Please help, I need some closure!

Jackooze

Hey guys, before I begin I just want to let everyone know I am a complete newbie when it comes to home theater. I just finished renovating my apartment, where I ran 22 gauge speaker wire through my walls in my living. Me being the smart one thinking the higher the number the better the speaker wire, oh how wrong was I !!! So after the apartment was finished in renovations I bought the Onkyo tx-sr 606 receiver and the klipsch XL home theater system. Today I find out that I choose the worst speaker wire there is which will not work well with my speakers. There is no way I can change the wire unless i run them outside the wall which I don't want to do.

Will the gauge wire really make a difference with audio quality I will have or am I completely screwed ?? I am freaking out here thinking that the in wall wire was all a waste due to my stupidity and lack of knowledge in audio.

It'll work ok, you shouldn't lose sleep over it. How long are the runs? That will be the real determinant. Is there no way to connect and pull larger wire to the smaller and replace it, or do you have it anchored inside the walls? Hey, sometimes you gotta go with what you got.

The surrounds are not nearly as important as the fronts. Use a larger wire for the front three and live with the rest if you can't somehow retrofit the surrounds wire.

Those are good guidelines, but in trying to make him feel better, if it is just to the surrounds then it won't be all that bad. For example, I have 18ga running a little longer than the chart recommends to the surrounds and it is liveable. If I get the urge I can upgrade by attaching and pulling since I am not anchored anywhere along the way, but it's not the first project on my extensive list of things to do around the house.

Will the speakers even be able to work properly with 22 gauge wires ?

I think it will be fine, not ideal but fine. Will it sound bad? No, but it might not sound the absolute best that it can. I think the difference in sound between 22 and say 16 gauge would be minimal at those relatively short lengths for the fronts. I was using 22 gauge for a short while, it came free with a set of speakers a while back, and they were about 30 ft each. I was lazy, and didn't cut them even though I needed only 10 ft. I was quite surprised at the bass from such tiny wires. The sound was great. So worry not, get ready to enjoy your new system.