What Amp with THX Ultra 2 System?

bmilbrandt

I'm currently running a full 7.2 Klipsch Ultra 2 system in my dedicated theater. Right now, I'm using the new Yamaha RX-Z11 as my processor and amplification.

While the overall sound is great, I'm beginning to think the Yamaha Z11 may be a tad bright with the Ultra 2's. What separate power amps would be recommended for the Ultra 2 system? I'm looking for a bit more "warmth" in the sound - yet still dynamic. Some amps I'm considering include:

Wyred 4 Sound; Parasound; Sunfire; B&K; Cinepro; Earthquake

Any suggestions based on experience with the Ultra 2 system?

The Pioneer VSX-49tx, 49txi and 59txi are all THX Ultra 2 certified AVR's and beautiful sounding on Klipsch. Warm, yet detailed and dynamic. I was searching for a pre/pro and stumbled upon a few threads on here about them. Many members on here enjoy these Pioneer receivers and some are powering RF-7's which are tough to drive and equipment sensitive. Heavy at nearly 70 pounds and the entire chassis is copper plated, and it comes with a beauty of a touch screen learning remote. These currently sell between $500-750 on eBay and Audiogon, a similar remote alone would cost $250+. The amplifier section is also very high quality and since it is 7.1, you can use the two extra channels (if you don't need 7 channels) to bi-amp the front channels. I can't say enough about this receiver, as it sounds better than much of the two channel gear I have used. Oh, great auto calibration eq with included mic too.

Why not a ULTRA 2 Amp/ Pre Amp especially, to take advantage of your Ultra 2 speakers!!!!

If it is just a Amp question, I highly recommend the Sunfire. I am very happy with it

But the brightness as you explain it, might also be in your pre amp.

If your amp is toning it down, isn't that some colorization your amp is doing? I am not so sure that is a good thing????

Is the Yamaha a Ultra 2 product?

While the overall sound is great, I'm beginning to think the Yamaha Z11 may be a tad bright with the Ultra 2's.

Before you spend any money, did you try just turning down the treble a bit and see if that sounds better to you? Depending on your room and speaker combination, any amp might need a bit of adjusting to sound its best to you.

Also, if your Z11 has one of those impedance switches, make sure it's set to 8 ohms. If you set it to 4 or 6 ohms, you'll get thin bass. The 8 ohm setting is recommended with all speakers, regardless of their nominal impedance rating.