Some electrical help for lighting

justin_tx_16

when i said 10 milliamps, i meant 1000, i forgot two zeros... major oops there! Frown.gif

radio shack and walmart have wall warts that go from 3 volts to 12 volts, and three models each. one at 300milliamps, one at 600, and the last at 1000. on the 1000 it says it can do 300, 600 or 1000, the 600 says it can do 600 and 300, but there is no switch on it that i can see to set this. they all have settings up to 12 volts, from 3-12.

the fuse says F2A250V, so 2 amps, 250 volts...??? LoL! any other idea to interpret this?

how would i bypass the lighter end, but not bypass the fuse? here is a picture of the power plug it has.

plug.jpg

finally got my camera to work with my computer Smile.gif

i can not open up the actual light so i do not think you can replace the bulb, everything is glued tight.

i guess i will just get a 12 volt (what milli amp?) wall wart, cut off the end of it, solder one wire to corosponding wire in the lighter, i could get another wire, put it through the other hole and do the second and third light this way, if there is enough power. just don't know how to NOT bypass the fuse...

thanks again so much for your help, and for the compliment on my speaker stands Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

oh yeah! they also have 15 inch (the actual bulb is 15 inches) lights that not only change brightness with the music, but also color! From Red to White to Blue! That would be pretty cool, they cost i think 18 bucks, only one bulb in it, but are a total of like 20 inches long, i would have to put it at an angle so as not to see the actual light... wonder if i should get one of these, or get 2 of these and use the 10 inch light for my center light... that owuld be pretty neat!

i can not find ANY more blue lights, they only have the red/white/blue light and the purple... if the purple looks like a black light, that would be really cool... maybei will get two purple and the one blue Smile.gif TOO MANY CHOICES! LoL!... and quesions for that matter Smile.gif

why don't they MAKE an AC to DC power converter (wall wart) that has a cigerrete lighter end on it? seems like it would be quite useful with all the things that can plug into the car, one less wire to have to have with your cell phone, cd player, etc. they do it the other way, plugs into your lighter and you get a regualr house plug on the other end... grrrrr... i want one of those but backwards LoL!

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Oh great, they have the fuse right at the end of the cigarette lighter adapter.

I would go with the Radio Shack wall wart that has the 300, 600, and 1000 millivolts ranges.

When you get it, keep the bill of sale for it so you can return it if you have too.

Don't cut the plug off of it, see if you can use some alligator clips, or just straight wire jumpers.

See if you can use jumper wires somehow to attach to the power supply plug, without cutting it off.

Then take the hot wire and attach it to the fuse somehow, and the side clips on the cigarette lighter adapter, without soldering.

Then see if the wall wart will run the light/lights.

If it doesn't, then you can take the wart back, get a refund and go from there.

If it works, you can solder the hot wire right on the end of the fuse, and the ground on the clip.

Or you could get a cheap plastic fuse holder from your local automotive place that's the right size.

Use the fuse holder and fuse in the hot path, and just wire ground to the supply.

The fuse holders are white, some of the higher rated ones are black,( a higher temp rated plastic).

This way you can replace the fuse easy.

Or you can find a Cigarette lighter,(The case, not the lighter) either raided out of a car, or automotive supply places could have them where the fuse holders might be.

You can take the cigarette lighter, wire the hot to the supply, and the ground to the outer case.

Then you could plug the light in without ruining the adapter, for maybe future car use.

Most fuses have the 250v rating on them, I don't know about that, a rating I guess.

The fuse is for 2 amps, the light cannot exceed two amps or it could die, It may, It may not, that's why the fuse is there.

Save a few bucks and maybe get a good 12volt Radio Shack power supply at about 10 or 20 amps down the road.

You could run many lights off it, and run a modest powered car amp off it.

Not to mention for troubleshooting, they're a great little bench tool for anything 12 volts.

Good luck!

lole and behold, a guy in the promedia section told me he just soldered on the 12 volt adapter and it worked just fine for two of his lights that i have... LoL! still waiting for a reply on what kind of adapter he got exactly Smile.gif

thanks so much for your help BTW.

just waiting on what the model is on his adapter Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

Mike, I don't know off hand what rating it is. It has been so long since I hooked them up. I'll have to check when I go home tonight. It's something I never paid attention to when I got it, just saw that I could hook up the lights to it and bought some adapters so I could run all 4 lights off it. It's got a switch on front so all come on at once.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KG 5.5

Rears: KG 3.5

Center: KLF-C7

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three

DVD: Toshiba 4109X

Laserdisc: Yamaha CDV-W901

5 CH Amp(for subs): Rotel RB-985

Single Cass Deck: HK TD-420

Dual Cass Deck: HK DC-520

wow, just one switch eh? where did you get this?! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

Well, it sounds like your set.

You even have some options on plugs.

Magnum Man uses a 12volt power supply, it has the switch on it, and a breaker on the back.

They are a little black box, like I have.

With screw terminals on the back.

I think once you figure out what your freind is using for a 12volt supply, I would go with a cigarette lighter case raided out of a car or something.

Then you can wire it to the supply, and just plug the cigarette adapter on the light to the lighter case.

Then this won't ruin the adapter, and you could use it in your car if you still wanted to.

I don't know how this will come out

These are boxes with red x's.

http:

http:

http:

I give up! I can't post a image for the life of me!!

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-03-2002 at 03:34 AM

that is a GREAT idea! they have those at walmart too! LoL!

about the pics. just give the link. if you wnat ot put a pic in your post is must start with http:// not ftp://, and you must put (img)http://www.mypic.jpeg(/img) and that is it, except change out the ()'s with []'s Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

Okay, so how do you upload a scanned drawing?

I can only convert it to bit map to either GIF or TIF.

It either uploads GIF or JPEG, at only 75k limit.

Can you insert the Image through the 'insert image'

box,(the one with the pic) by inserting that Address you brought up on your last post for a Email recipient?

You bring up a Email box, put in the address mentioned,

and send it to this post?

I'm PC challenged, but I would like to figure out how to post a scanned drawing.

YEEHAWW!!

http:IMG]http://216.37.9.58/ubb/image_uploads/AdapterS.GIF[P>Man, I give up!

IMG

AdapterS.GIFThis message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-03-2002 at 11:09 PM

just click

image_2.gif

right above where you put your text, then paste the address of the image and hit ok. that is all! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ok, well it turns out i could just buy a AC/DC converter with a cigerrete lighter female end on it and then get a 3 way splitter. it is all setup, gonna get rid of these purple lights, looks like amix of pink and purple, but still looks awesome! gonna post some pics as soon as i can Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/trash/90/id47.htm

click there to get to the pics and whatnot

------------------

-justin