Passive or Active preamp?

AZNracerx1989

it boils down to personal preferance, (what do your ears like), but it can also depend on your gear, in my opinion 1 benefit to passive is that you get to hear your source and amps without any signature sound of a pre-amp however you also get no gain, so your speakers have to be effecient enough for the amp/source to drive them.(or you amp would need to be powerful enough to drive non-effecient speaks) i personally like a good pre-amp as it sets the stage for the whole system but thats my preferance. best thing to do (a i am sure you already know) is try to audition both and decide

Joe

I have been into tube preamps for 7 or more years now and since I listen to vinyl some months over 80% it makes no sense to have a passive pre and a separate phono preamp, although some people do this.

The system match is something I enjoy about an active preamp. Old Scotts, old Ampex, Blueberry, CJ and others give you a little diffferent "color" from each designer and different tubes manufacturer models and years of manufacture.