distorted tweeter sound

bryan2

In some music video cd's that I played in my Kenwood VR-407 receiver and RF-5 speakers (using a JVC VideoCD player), some high frequency sounds appear to be distorted, even under normal volume level. Is this a problem related to my cheapy receiver?

My system.

Kenwood VR-407

RF-5

SC.5

SS1

KSW-12

SH-GE90 EQ

Panasonic DVD

JVC Video CD player

73" Mitsubishi Widescreen HDTV

If you do not hear this distortion when using other sources (try FM or a CD player rather than the JVC video CD player) I'd point at the video CD player as the problem. This is a format that never really caught on - least here in the US of A - and the (very few) video CD players that were made were not of very high caliber. Also possible that the video CD's themselves are the problem.

In any case, step one is to use a regular CD player, play a regular CD (preferably of the same songs, if possible) and see whether the distortion goes away. If so, that's the problem.

Where in the world did you find a Video CD player? Or for that matter, any Video CD discs? I saw a couple once, like 15 years ago, but haven't seen any since then.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I am an Asian American and back there in the Philippines (or probably most of Asian countries) we like to sing Karaoke using video-cds. Here in Los Angeles, there are several stores that sells video-cds,CDGs and other similar formats. I also bought the player in the same place.

Karaoke huh,well I think the false notes probably overheated the voice coil! LOL

Metallica is not the best Karaoke you can sing you know.

Jokes aside its probably the low quality of the Karaoke disks that can be heard.As the RF-5's will reveal poor mastering.

I woould try a high quality CD you know and play it at high volume just to check the RF-5's...please dont sing while it plays...you may damage the RF-5's.

cwm27.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Most DVD players nowadays support VideoCd formats but they lack the Karaoke functions (where you can remove the vocals, or change the pitch, etc., or multiple microphone inputs.). By the way when I sing in Karaoke I made sure I am the only person in the house and all doors and windows are closed!!