Rear channel help (Center is done)

CoronaMD

This is kind of a duplicate of my center channel question. I know that with RF-5's and the RC-7 I should have RS-7's in the back. How much difference will it make with RS-3 or 3II's? Space is an issue on that wall. The speakers will be about 3.5 feet behind the couch and about 8 feet up and 7 feet apart. It seems to me that all the sound would simply go right over your head.I guess I could tilt them. I have polk OWM3's in the back now because of the angle and it was a temp fix. I know there is no comparison in quality but is it a waste if the sound is just going over your head, or will it? I need your expertise guys.Thanks, Michael

The surrounds are used much less and are not as important to be as matched as the fronts and center channels. I am using four RS-3II's to match my RF-5's and RC-7, two in the rear and two on the sides. The rears are very similar to what you will have, mine are about the same spacing 7 feet apart and about 3 1/2 feet behind the couch but mine are just under 7 feet high, the sides are just behind listening position and the same height as the rears and about 6 feet further to the sides. If I could trade them for RS-7's sure I would, but I dont think the surrounds are used enough to warrant the price difference to make an upgrade and I am very happy with the way it sounds now.

When I first bought my system I bought the RF5's, an RC-3 and two RS-3's I later upgraded adding two more RS-3's and then again later upgraded to the RC-7. While the RC-7 I feel was well worth the upgrade, I don't think upgrading the surrounds to RS-7's would make much difference.

Also, if you can mount your surrounds lower I would recommend it, as mine are a little higher than I would prefer for the best sound.