digital or analog for music?

onemike

Hello!

To answer this question please use these products when you, hopefully, are helping me with ideas/answers:

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD-player: Pioneer dv-737

My questions are if I would be better of buying a real good coaxial digital cable (for example Harmonic Technology Cyber link platinum) and let the Denon "handle" the music or if it would be better to buy good analogue signal cables and use the Pioneer´s D/A converter and let it handle the music? The reason for asking is that the Pioneer has been rated excellent for musiclistening as well as for DVD:s.

To listen to music in for example DTS Neo 6.1 I guess I have to go through the digital coaxial and taking this into concideration I guess I should spend my money on a descent digital cable. If any of u have any ideas regarding this matter please help me. Mike

Mike, my suggestion would be to try it both ways. See if a dealer will let yet demo the needed cables or see if you can borrow some decent cables from a friend and do some A/B testing to see what your ears like. I use the dig coax option on my particular setup. Most receivers will convert the analog input to digital using their DSP to process the now digital information and then convert it back to analog. I figure using digital saves the receiver a step and maybe it prevents some small sound degradation. I did the A/B testing and the dig option sounded more acurate and dynamic. I just wish all CD's were recorded in the same volume range.

Just my $.02!

JT

IMO, you don't need a really expensive digital coax cable. just use Monster if it makes you feel better, but even that is overkill.

i would hook it up both ways and switch. i could see myself spending the dough for a good set of Monster analog cables.

so my advice is to go with good analog cables and cheap coax digital.

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

Well I can tell you from my experience, I am using the analog cables from my Panasonic RP-91 instead of the DACs on the Denon 4800. Initially, I was just using them on DVD-A playback but found I like it better for DD 5.1 and DTS movies/music as well. I have actually turned off the Digital Output on the Panny and use the analog outputs for all sources.

Since my Denon has no real bass management (80 hz all the way around), I bought the Outlaw ICBM and have it in between the Panny and the Denon. I now have bass mgmt for everything I play from the Panny (you need to set all speakers to large on your DVD player so that a full signal goes to the ICBM). You on the other hand have some bass mgmt on your Denon but do not when monitoring your External Inputs. If your Pioneer doesn't have bass mgmt, I strongly suggest the ICBM for this situation...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems