need some expert advice

halfadeck

hi all I'm looking to start a system. So far i bought a klfc7 and am looking at rb3 or rb5 floor model would love the rf7 but have to take it easy on the money(wife is already gonna kick me to the couch hehe).Also gonna try to go with the rs7's. Figured if i go with the rb5s i could get by without a sub for now.well my main question is will this set up work together? My room is 20x17 with an 18 foot ceiling. Also for the receiver im looking at a denon 3802, harman/kardon7000 and a pioneer vsxd908s. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated and will help me get my ears on theyre journey to heaven. Thanks for your time will look back for replies

------------------

turn it up hmmph i said turn it up

Where to start?

1) The KLF-C7 is a powerfully loud and dynamic speaker, the Ref line is more sublte and accurate. Will it work? Yes, but it probably isn't the ideal situation. My guess is you got a very good deal and sometimes that can be as important.

2) You are going to need a sub with either of the RB series speakers. You may want to cosider going with a pair of RF-3's for now with out a sub. A good sub is recommended though. They are the same price as the RB's (you may not find a floor model though).

3) The RS-3's might also be a better match for the RB's or RF-3's. You could save some money here. The RS-7's are ment to go with the RF-7's.

4) Receivers? I have a HK7000 and absolutely love it. Whatever you do, do not buy a refurb. I have heard several stories of people buying refurbs that are complete lemons. It's been over two years and I have never had a problem with mine. And I think that the Lexicon Logic-7 is much better than ProLogicII. I also have a Denon 2500 in my spare system and have no complaints. You may want to look for a HK510 as it has been replaced with the 520. The 510 will be plenty of receiver for any Klipsch speaker system. I also wouldn't be a true Klipscher if I didn't mention the Outlaw 1050 receiver. It is the best bang for the buck on the receiver market today. Great sound, good clean power and a few bells and whistles to boot.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert as you requested. I am just another audio geek with his own set of self drawn conclusions and opinions.

Happy listening and enjoy!

JT

This message has been edited by decibel man on 02-02-2002 at 03:16 AM

Half - The C7 might not be the best match for a center channel for the R series -- they have a different matching center (RC-3, RC-7). As you've probably read elsewhere, you should be striving for the best possible match between the 3 front speakers. I'm guessing you got the C7 on Ebay??? Great buy.

If you're already inclined to the Ebay/Ubid route, and you like the C7, get the matching fronts - KLF-20s or KLF-30s. They have a different sound than the Reference series (more in-your-face-live-music-at-the-club sound). You may like it. If not, ditch the C7 (you can probably get what you paid for it if you just bought it on Ebay/Ubid) and go with a Reference set up.

Doug

------------------

My System

First off thanks for thew advice it is much appreciated. I did get a good deal on the c7 unfortunately I did that before i found the speaker matching guide on this forum. Hvent found a great deal yet for the legend series, but found a link to crazy eddies on forum they have some gonna call them tommorrow see what kind of deal i can get. Couple more questions if you guys dont mind (my knowledge is very limited so I depend on your guys input). Is there enough of a difference between the lf20 and lf30 to warrant the price increase and also when you say in your face sound could you explain a little more. I want something that truly rocks your socks of but makes my wife forget about all the money i spent when we watch a movie. Thanks again vm :-) and yes you guys are the gurus Smile.gif

------------------

Sorry to repost again but need some info asap just checked my e-mail a store i contacted a few days ago set me up with 2 packages would like advice. rf7's,rs7's and rc7's for 2650 total(sounds a bit pricey). The other package rf3II's, rs3II's and rc3 total shipped 1190( this seems like a good deal not sure though). If I went with the r3II package would that sound better then the complete legend series?Also he said he has a sony strda5es av for 983 shipped would like some feed back on that have read anything about that av. Once again thank you!

------------------

Half - The Legends will supply all the romp and HT robustness you would want. Whether they sound better than the Reference is totally interpretation. Probably the biggest difference I've heard people say is that the Reference is more refined (meaning less harsh in some frequency ranges, I suppose) but with less slam (that kick in the butt feeling) than the Legends. To paraphrase Ray G, it's like asking which is better, chocolate or vanilla. It's all a matter of taste.

Get thee to a dealer and do some listening to whatever you can find!

Doug

------------------

My System

Hey, Halfadeck, take a look at "Hey HornEd, need Phantom feedback..." on the next post down from yours, it may shed some light on your concerns. Buying new stuff... the right stuff... and hooking it up in better ways is not only good for your HT system, it keeps the American economy on the road to a full deck.

Pop some, sit back and enjoy what you are about to have!cwm39.gifHornEd

PS: TTK good to see you helpin' the troops. Mom's fine and vacationing in San Antonio with my son. She needs the extra time to understand all I like about the South. Oh, yeah, there she is offering you a standing wave your powered sub towers missed... Wavey.gif HornEd

first I want to thanks for the replies.I have a major headace been on the pc forever. The more I look the more complicated it gets "sigh". Gonna give it a break gonna drive the 60 miles to the dealer and kick the tires at least the music will make the headache go away lol.

------------------