It was a Great Fight, Mom; but We Lost!

picky

Last evening was the opening season game for the Detroit Red Wings who in addition to hosting original six rival, the Toronto Maple Leafs, hoisted their team banner into the rafters of Joe Louis Arena commemorating their 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Championship Season, prior to the game's start.

Both teams fought hard but the Leafs continually tied up the neutral zone, forcing a lot of turnovers of the advancing Wings.

Leafs 3 Wings 2 pretty much tells the story for a game that did not need to go into overtime despite a last-minute power play by the Wings.

Holmstrom scored Detroit's only two goals, while Kubina, Moore and Kulemin scored for the Leafs. Toronto goalie, Toskala had 35 saves, Osgood turned away 26.

post-10177-1381941855941_thumb.jpg

The game was on Verses and I was able to watch the 2nd and 3rd periods. It was a good game with the exception of the final score. I'm so glad that the season has started! I'm looking forward to seeing what the addition of Hossa will provide the Wings!! Thanks again Glenn for your observations on the Wings!