My "new" old Hersey setup

USNRET

First, how the hell do you spell the plural?

On a lark I placed an ad on a local chat group looking for Klipsch speakers. I got a response and picked up a set of 1980 H1s. The second owner told me that they had a problem and thought the "horns" were broken. Additionally, they were originally WOs but had been sprayed black. Ok, I picked them up last Friday and indeed they were WO/black and other than that they were in decent shape. I carried them around in my truck for a almost a week and today I had the chance to get them unloaded. I put them in the garage and hooked up a MAC 1700 receiver and Sony CD player to see had bad they were. Bad? I think not. Man they sounded great. I own several sets of Klipsch, most since new, and I was greatly impressed by these "old" speakers. To the guy that painted the WOs black: Man I wish you had not done that but it seems that you took care and there is no major dings. I took some 220 grit and knocked off some of the paint and the veneer looked OK. I am researching and learning the process of a sand/strip or venner job for my winter project.

OK, this is getting long. Bottom line, these speakers sound really nice.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx may be of some assistance to you; in particular the "how to get the paint off" part and applying some fresh veneer. Best of luck, take your time and if you need any assistance you can PM me on the forum or email me via the forum.

Thanks, I am on my 3rd or 4th read of the process. I'm sure you will be hearing from me.

CP; thanks for the kind words.

USNRET: the "grandmasters" in terms of refinishing are greg928gts, popbumper and several others who's forum names escape me at the moment. Greg has a great website, www.dcchomes.com, with several very detailed examples of professional refinishing. Greg's pictures are much, much better than mine.

Well done on the local acquisition.

On removing some paint: Many of your Automotive grease and wax removers are very good removers of spray paints that some people use on everything.

I've had excellent luck with the R&M (Rinshed Mason) grease and wax remover taking spray paint off speakers. With a soft toothbrush I've been able to even remove the paint from the grain. It seems to work best with spraypaint but I've also been successful in brush and rolled on paints depending on what it is. It can be messy but worth the effort and minimal expense in a lot of applications.

Harry

Harry's dead on about the RM product. I have used that and also "Citristrip". Biggest problem with the pigment in the grain is if the spray paint was semigloss or gloss, the slow drying emulsion allows the pigment to penetrate before it fully dries. Flat black dries so quickly that the pigment particles are not deeply embedded. Either way it's a mess to get off!!

BTW; Stay away from paint stripper products that contain methylene chloride which was/is the traditional ingredient. Reason? it can also penetrate and soften the veneer glue... It also can leave a residue impregnated in the wood which can affect the ability of new veneer glue to properly adhere.