Custom 3 Mod and experiance

CircleA

Well, I've owned my Custom 3s for over a year now. For them to work for me, I had to make a modifcation by using off the shelf ear plugs instead of the tipsthat came with it. The best seal-sound quality I got was the large double tip, but it would hurt after wearing them a bit. The next best was the large single tip, but the seal would come and go when I move my jaw or head. The headphones almost became impractical to use till I came up with the mod. I would puncure a hole in the middle of a set of earplugs and place them where the eargells would be. Worked out great. So far, the most usefull situations with these headphones is when I do personal studio work with the band I'm in now. It's the next best thing to being in the control room to monitor the sound while recording. Before, I would wear ear plugs, put on a set of over the ear headphons and crank them up to overide the accual instruments. Using the Custom 3s with the mod, I just use them by themselves at normal volume. Keep in mind, my Ludwig drums are loud, yet I can hear them through the Custom 3s during recording instead of hearing the drums directly. Great for experimenting with mic placing. Other uses would be on trips and such. I have compared them to the Reference Series of Klipsch speakers, which I own some. With some bost on the top and low end, they can come close. But like with all headphones, you don't fell the music with your body like you would with listening through good speakers. (But with the nomad lifestyle and roomates, it's still the next best thing to good external loudspeakrs) I have also compared their sound to the sound system of the House of Blues in San Diego. They sound about the same. (They eather use Electro Voice or EAWs, I forgot.)

The other set of headphones I have been using for comparison, (for work as an example) are the studio AKG K240. (Over the head type) Without any EQ on them, they sound verry simmilar, but the Custome 3s can play bass heavy music much louder witout sounding overdriven like the K240 would at the same voulume. I still use the K240s when I work because of the ease of takeing them on and off. But for trips, the Custome 3s become more practical because of their size. That's all I have for now.

I do not have the Custom 3's. I have the Image X10's, and I did not like the supplied ear buds for extended periods. They made my ears hurt. I finally found an ear tip that is very comfortable. I use foam tips model T100 from the ear plug store. They work great. I am not looking back.

Well, I've owned my Custom 3s for over a year now. For them to work for me, I had to make a modifcation by using off the shelf ear plugs instead of the tipsthat came with it. The best seal-sound quality I got was the large double tip, but it would hurt after wearing them a bit. The next best was the large single tip, but the seal would come and go when I move my jaw or head. The headphones almost became impractical to use till I came up with the mod. I would puncure a hole in the middle of a set of earplugs and place them where the eargells would be. Worked out great. So far, the most usefull situations with these headphones is when I do personal studio work with the band I'm in now. It's the next best thing to being in the control room to monitor the sound while recording. Before, I would wear ear plugs, put on a set of over the ear headphons and crank them up to overide the accual instruments. Using the Custom 3s with the mod, I just use them by themselves at normal volume. Keep in mind, my Ludwig drums are loud, yet I can hear them through the Custom 3s during recording instead of hearing the drums directly. Great for experimenting with mic placing. Other uses would be on trips and such. I have compared them to the Reference Series of Klipsch speakers, which I own some. With some bost on the top and low end, they can come close. But like with all headphones, you don't fell the music with your body like you would with listening through good speakers. (But with the nomad lifestyle and roomates, it's still the next best thing to good external loudspeakrs)

Some of the engineers here jam also on the weekends. We have foung that both Custom and Image work well for live situations, especially when you have drums in the studio. If you are mic'ing everything to a mix then you can enjoy a good mix while protecting your hearing. There is now way to get around acoustic drums for excessive levels live without some type of IEM.

We use the oval eargels because they fit us just fine and are the most comfortable, but that is an interesting way to solve the eartip fit issue if they don't work.