svpc vs svcs both 16-46

halfadeck

Good questions. I'm curious about the pc and cs series also. My listening area is 17' deep, 12' wide with 8' ceiling. It is the south part of a large main room (17' x 28'). I'm guessing that sub placement should be in a corner, but the available corner has one side with curtains which I think would absorb sound. I hope you get some answers.

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

Halfadeck & CharlieTuna, I hear and appreciate your concerns. I hear and have experienced your concerns. The best corner I have for my dual Ultras has curtains on one side... and curtains across 90% of the opposite wall (so much for view locations of an HT). While this cuts into the bass performance potential, the headroom in this rig still puts out meaningful, pulse pounding results us bottom dwellers dig.

With out too much elaboration, I would recommend the CS enclosures over the PC variety. Being able to chose and change your power amp is a big advantage over what compromises a manufacture must make to get the electronics inside the box. And for those with budget constraints, you can easily rig an old stereo amp to put out 350 or so watts at 4 amps... and upgrade when something strikes your fancy at an optimum pocketbook moment.

Personally, I enjoy the twin subs because they bring me over the Dolby Digital Minimum Theater Standard of 121.5 dB... which takes a mighty (and often not very "musical") sub to do. But doubling identical subs only raises your benefit by 6dB... it's a law that precedes man, man.

Remember, standing waves Wavey.gifWavey.gifWavey.gif are the killers of great bass in any room. Bass waves are long... longer than most rooms in the tubes your are talking about. Standing waves are "silent" killers... like high blood pressure. Often, you don't even realize their at work stealthily stealing from your bass enjoyment of life.

Standing waves are a product of what you put into your listening area under about 80Hz, how the different frequencies bounce off the walls, and where they collide to cancel each other out... or combine to make twice the volume! That's why the Video Essential's disk urges that you move the SPL meter from side-to-side when measuring sub performance in the sweet spot.

It is the reason so many "pros" urge that people set their full range speakers to "SMALL" and channel all the long wave action to the subs (preferably in the same corner) as a way of making standing waves less complex and, therefore, easier to work around. Heavy draperies and tapestries on the wall can be used to good advantage as excess wave traps.

Pardon the non-technical explanation... but the technical ones tend to put too many Klipschers to sleep Sleep.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-04-2002 at 12:41 PM

HornEd,

Thanks for the response. The non-technical explanation makes sense to me right now more than numbers and graphs, which I'd like to change. Would a place like the the Dolby Digital web site be a good source for educating one's self on the engineering aspect music and HT?

CT

------------------

Charlie, Dolby Digital and dts have a serious disagreement as to the correct approach to worthwhile sound. Dolby has a "White Paper" on their site that tries to show that their version of digital sound covers all that needs to be covered. Of course, the dts website disagrees and pooh poohs the "White Paper."

But in the process of reading about it you should add some depth to your bias... whatever it may be.

DD is more compact, particularly in the highs, and thus, more of the "extras" can be crammed into a single disk than can be with dts. For my money, I'll take dts every time... I think it covers the gamut with a fuller, natural sound. Hey, but DD 5.1 isn't all that bad in the hands of some good recording sound engineers.

Understanding the nature of the signal your speakers have to work with begins the enlightenment of what speakers really need to be in your system.

Before you let your ears decide, let your head have a chance of understanding what you think you hear. Remember, the sense of sound can be at least as illusionary as the sense of sight. That's what makes movies first moved and sound effects men reach for the half-coconuts when it time to hear the thundering hoofs of the great horse, "Silver!" Illusion then Eyes.gif illusion now. Buying new gear or tweaking what you have... it is all part of building your own illusion. cwm32.gif HornEd

------------------

PS: CT, "can't tuna fish"... reminds me of my father the milkman who said, "You can whip our cream but you can't beat our milk!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-04-2002 at 06:20 PM

here, here HE on the superiority of the dts format. i've got quite a few concert dvd just recently even & i've yet to hear a poor mix nor sound quality in dts.

can't say the same for some of the dolby only disks.

though on the disks that contain both formats the sound

mix seems to be the same good quality as I guess the format doesn't change the mix. but like you I feel the dynamics are much better in dts.

so here's a possible casual conclusion. when the engineers use dts they seem to pretty consistently do a better quality mix job. iow, the engineers that are going to use dts are more serious on the overall sound quality of the program. what do you think on this? cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

HornEd,

Thanks again for the insight. Of course, answers only bring on more questions. So, if I become a nusance, just shoot me down. However, you seem like a good sport. Anyway, I looked on the DTS sight and their rears seem to have a different function than DD. DD rears are smaller and are used for "ambient" sound (I think). Whereas dts rears are floor speakers. I have always used small speakers for my rears and front effect (Yamaha DSP). Have I missed the point?

CT

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by halfadeck:

My question is whats the difference in sound quality between the pc cs series?

The CS series is about one or two db louder because if the higher power amp (190 vs. 350 watts)

------------------

Receiver:Pioneer VSX-D850S

Display: Mitsubishi 46 inch HDTV

Fronts: RF-3II

Center: RC-3II

Surrounds: RS-3II

Sub: SVS 20-39CS+ w/ Samson S-1000 Amplifier

Tyhanks for the posts all. I ended up with an earthquake mkIII(havent gotten it yet). From reading all the info on the posts setting up the ht is gonna be a long involved process(I thought I had a headache just picking the components hehe). One thing is good to know always have the forum to helpcwm20.gifThanks again going to the store to pick up a butload of asprin for when my stuff arrives. Cya on the boards

------------------

turn it up hmmph i said turn it up