DVD+DAC or just cd player

atom

now, i have a pioneer DVD-343. i am considering to upgrade it. should i buy a CD player or a just add a DAC(on more than 400$ cd player or DAC MSB LINK IIIor II)? which choise will get better performance.

BTW. what about NAD 541? i wanna a warm sound to balance my denon and RB-5 composition which is clean detail, but not warm enough in midrange. or u have better choise to recommandate within my budget?

thx

Listen. The PERFECT candidate. DIYCable will make that player jump to another level.

First, they take a Pioneer DV-343 24bit CD/DVD player which is a great little player for the money but not really audiophile quality but a good platform. Then Dan Wright of ModWright modifications (the guy famous for the Perpetual Technologies mods that got raves in Stereophile and online) does his magic on the power supply circuit.

Here is a quick list of the upgrades to the DVD-343:

Will play: CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD

Video functions same as original DVD player.

* Digtital Out: Upgraded to 75 Ohm BNC. Ciruit improvements ala Dan Wright.

Audio Analog Changes:

#1 Power Supply tweaked ala Dan Wright: Better and larger caps all around, Cryo HexFreds and IEC added. Will help video section also.

#2 LC Audio LClock + power supply installed. Will help video section also. GREATLY improve the sonics!

#3 LC Audio ZAPfilter + power supply analog gain stage replaces stock analog gain stage completely. They take the output directly from the DAC (Brown Burr PCM1716). Again, this will be a HUGE increase in sonic performance as it is the downfall of almost ALL CD players, even those in the high price bracket.

#4 Cardas gold plated RCAs on analog out.

Drop Kevin Haskins a mail at kevin_haskins@diycable.com .

He just bought a number of the DVD-343 and is selling them with the above mods. I know he will be happy to take your player in and do the same. HE is using one of these players right now and reports GREAT sound. I hope to be auditioning one next month. Drop by the site to see some of the mods and explanations.

http://www.diycable.com/LC_audio_products.htm

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-02-2002 at 01:39 AM

Are you going to check this unit out against the Rega Planet? Mobile?

You will have to report it on the BB.

I think from digging around in the AA archives, that Dan Wright tweaked a Samsung 709 DVD player once.

My next step is the Power Supply, Hexfreds, better PS cap, maybe some bypass caps.

It's cheap fun.

BTW, the link you post does not show anything regarding the player they tweak or the service they provide.

I think there is info in there?

If and when you do Review the Player, make sure you throw a CD in it, hit repeat and then come back in about two or three days before you even seriously listen to it.

Yes, I am a firm believer on break-in, especially source units.

This may be a moot point, but I recently purchased a Panasonic RP-56 DVD player.

When I first threw in a DVD movie,(Exorcist) the video quality was grainy, a little choppy, and kind of rushed.

But by the end of the movie, the video quality had improved, things slowed down, matched up and looked great.

Could this be a effect of break-in?

Don't ask about the analog audio quality, it didn't improve by much, even after a week.

The Samsung sounds better.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-02-2002 at 03:56 AM

Yeah...tell me about break-in...lord. The Rega Planet had the longest break-in of any player I have ever seen or used. I have no idea why. It is also EXTREMELY sensitive to plug orientation. The right polarity makes a big difference.

As for the DIYCable.com page I linked, that is just the page for the various mods that are going into the unit such as the LC Audio LClock for jitter, the ZAPFilter for the whole new output stage etc. The actual page is not up yet (that is my site I do for them btw, which is why I know about it). But we just traded mail about the players. He has five for sale right now and they are going on to the site.

He will be more than happy to mod a player. Not sure of the cost but I know he does good work. When I get the player for pics, I'll do a full review and let you know how it does with all the mods compared to other gear and the Planet.

kh

Cool!

Looking forward to it.

I don't know if you've checked the guts of your Rega,

But if the unit has the high quality audio grade capacitors inside, that's probably one reason on long break-in.

We know the story with Rubycon Black Gates.

Yeah, I know you do the site design for Kevin P.

You do a excellent job, BTW.

A long way from Milkman Dan, I must add.

THANX!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-02-2002 at 02:07 PM