I'm ready for HDTV....need some advise please!

montigue

Justin (hmm, like the famous bootmaker's town north of Fort Worth?), the 1080i is not a model number but a designation of the screen resolution (1080) in the interlaced (i) mode when being fed an ideal HD signal. Without the HD receiver, these units operate at a standard of 480i... a progressive scanner can drive them at 480p (progressive) scan lines.

Interlaced signals are fed every other line in one burst and the remaining every other line in the next burst... hence they are "interlaced" and depend upon the residual image that stays in your minds eye long enough to get the missing info. Progressive scanning puts all the lines on the screen at the same time making an inherently more stable image.

So, these big screen TV's have a much higher potential resolution than the signal fed them... so retain a potential to grow with your system. One of the advantages of these units is the automatic light compensation circuit which tends to tolerate more ambient light than most projection TV rigs I have experienced.

This is another example of that your "reality" is custom made in your mind... since most TV's are interlaced and show only half the information to make a complete picture at any one instant. Your mind directs your sensory inputs the way a conductor leads an orchestra... bringing out the best and ignoring the rest in the ideal set.

Still, to give your mind a fair chance you've got to serve your ears the good stuff of whatever flavor. That means using your head (and an SPL meter) in creating the best acoustic sweetspot for your room, having a subwoofer with all else set to "SMALL" (normal full-range speakers have problems in high bass and low midrange).

There's a lot to learn, go for it! Tipsy.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-08-2002 at 04:49 PM

I dont know where the number that mitsu sales 70% of projection tv's but that is dead wrong. My father has a Mitsu 55inch widescreen HDTV its picture is good dont get me wrong but it is no comparasion to the 65inch hitachi i just purchased. The Mitsu is great for high def source but it doesnt allow you to turn off the artifical looking edge enhanacement in standadrd def modes. Which makes things look cartoonish from sources such as DVD also the stretch modes for non widescreen programming is just flat horrible compared to hitachi and sony. Mitsu is a great tv but not any better than many cheaper tv's of the same size.

Want a good HDTV? Try the Pioneer SD-533HD5. It's 53 inches. Is that too big for what you're looking for? I think it has the best NTSC/DVD/HDTV picture of the sets in its class; yes, it is better than the Sony and Mitsubishis I've seen. It may set you back about $3000 though. You may be able to get it down to $2500 if you negotiate well enough. It's definitely worth getting.

quote:

Originally posted by HornEd:

Justin (hmm, like the famous bookmaker's town north of Fort Worth?), the 1080i is not a model number but a designation of the screen resolution (1080)

Yeah, did know that, but on the front it is called something like Mitsubitsi 1080i HDTV.... that tells you what series it is, there being three i believe...

quote:

I dont know where the number that mitsu sales 70% of projection tv's but that is dead wrong

That is what Home Entertainment told me... ohwell cwm6.gif

If you want a nice BIG big screen... my uncle got a 65" Pioneer Elite... it is sweet Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

oh yes! HornEd, thanks for Educating me on this. cwm4.gif I have learned most of what I know about sound and video from this bulletin board Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Jack be Knimble:

I just made my mind up yesterday, and it just happens to be the Pioneer 47" widescreen. It sell's at best buys for $1750!! Its awesome and it has all the deminsions im looking for. The KLF c-7 can fit on top of it and its just wide enough to fit on my fireplace concrete slab..... As soon as I find a buyer for my Sony Wega (only had it in the paper one day and have had 5 calls already) I'ts coming home with me.

by the way thanks for the advise Justin on the Mitsu. It sounds good but the thing is that its $400 more than the Pioneer 4"'s smaller and you have to buy the stand seperatly. Thats another $300. Yes its a better tv but its all about the money.

Monty

This message has been edited by montigue on 02-08-2002 at 08:53 PM

Horn Ed

that is frigging awesome! I have 4 KLF-20's and a KLF-C7. I have an RX-V1, so what would you recommend for front effect speakers?

If you're not going to pay for a Pioneer Elite bigscreen get a Mits 46809 or 55809. Forget sony, pioneer's regular stuff, panasonic, etc

horned... that picture of your HT looks weird to me... LoL! i mean, there is just something about it, besides me wanting it, that seems, jeneseque. the picture of the tiger, it is at an angle, going beyond the screen hiegth... and it is at a slight angle... maybe it is just me Smile.gif

geeze! i like that setup! those speakers are massive! doesnt hold a finger to my setup, with my ProMedia 9.2 system Smile.gif LoL! j/k haha

------------------

-justin

Dearlv, glad you enjoyed the photo of my rig... and I hope, one day, you will discover the thrill of putting your C7 back as a rear effects speaker and know the awesome truth of putting a KLF-20 in as a center speaker!

I have used both SB-2's (for their small size with a big voice) and inverted KLF-10's (for their Legend qualities) as front effects speakers. For pure sound enjoyment, the big ole 10's were a shade better. However, I think I will try a bookshelf speaker from the Reference line to balance the shear grandeur of the KLF-30's with some of the accuracy and definition they should contribute in the background. Timbre matching is not nearly as much an issue in Front Effects or Rear Effects speakers in my experience.

However, I just got an idea as I am writing this. I have a KLF-C7 and may just pick up another and use them for Front Effects.

Justin, you have the eye of a tiger! The tiger image is straight out of "Gladiator" using the step mode to freeze the frame. "Gladiator" is letterboxed, so I used the expand feature of the Mitsubishi HDTV in order to fill the screen. Since the flash washed the screen out a bit, I restored the color by enhancing the screen area in PhotoShop. The main problem with the photo is the number of reflections (primarily a hanging lamp on the left and me on the right) caused by the intensity of the flash.

I will try to do better when I show it with the stacked Ultra tower now under construction. I am experimenting with better ways to stack them. The preliminary results are a dramatic, in-your-face, increase in the sub ranges. I believe the unexpected improvement is from having what were the bottom of the subwoofers now joined at about "ear level" to someone sitting in the "sweetspot."

I must warn you both, however, that there is a downside to all this... going to an upscale theater just doesn't cut it any more! cwm35.gif HornEd.

quote:

Originally posted by montigue:

Jack be Knimble:

I just made my mind up yesterday, and it just happens to be the Pioneer 47" widescreen. It sell's at best buys for $1750!! Its awesome and it has all the deminsions im looking for. The KLF c-7 can fit on top of it and its just wide enough to fit on my fireplace concrete slab..... As soon as I find a buyer for my Sony Wega (only had it in the paper one day and have had 5 calls already) I'ts coming home with me.

by the way thanks for the advise Justin on the Mitsu. It sounds good but the thing is that its $400 more than the Pioneer 4"'s smaller and you have to buy the stand seperatly. Thats another $300. Yes its a better tv but its all about the money.

Monty

Pioneer makes a 47 inch HDTV? Are you sure it was Pioneer and not Panasonic?

quote:

Justin, you have the eye of a tiger! The tiger image is straight out of "Gladiator" using the step mode to freeze the frame. "Gladiator" is letterboxed, so I used the expand feature of the Mitsubishi HDTV in order to fill the screen. Since the flash washed the screen out a bit, I restored the color by enhancing the screen area in PhotoShop. The main problem with the photo is the number of reflections (primarily a hanging lamp on the left and me on the right) caused by the intensity of the flash.

thanks for clearing that up LOL! it was driving my eyes crazy haha.

------------------

-justin

Congrats on the big screen purchase! The video portion of my home theater is my last upgrade (yea, right!)but will only be able to get 36". Wow Horn Ed ! Klipsch should consider making you their "Poster Child". Have fun with the systems.

------------------

KLF 30s front (Bi-Wired)

KLF 10s rears

KLF C-7 center

KLF C-7 Rear Center

SVS Ultra Sub

Sunfire Sub Amp

Onkyo TX DS787

Onkyo integra M506RS

Onkyo DX C370 6 disc

Monster HTS 3600 Line Cond.

Better Cables Silver wires & connects

LATEST UPDATE!!

Guy's I ended up getting the Mitsu 47" after all. It's deminsion's were just much better for my needs. Like the C-7 being able to sit on top of it for one.

I also upgraded my dvd player to this http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=326651

It really made a difference!! This is one awesome DVD player. I can change the screen however I want to and the audio and video quality playback is fantastic!

both the widescreen and the DVD player I got out the door for $2500!! I nogotiated with the manager to bring the price down about $150.... Goodguys has earned my respect back

By the way the TV is totally awesome!!!! will send updated pics on my previous post in odds and modds

regards Monty

you will LOVE that tv!!!!!! i love mine soo much Smile.gif really compliments my setup.... or is my setup complimenting the tv? Smile.gif i used a SONY DVP-NS700P for mine, looked great, but cost a little more. great choice! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin