Newbie with a question about La Scala Bins

Steve R

Hello everyone,my name is Steve and I'm a Klipschohlic. After many years of fighting my addiction,I have givin in and just accepted it.So iv'e join the forum to ask my fellow addicts about my newest acqisition , a pair of lndustrial La Scala low bins with K-43 drivers. I want to use them to help my Heresy's and fill out the sound in my living room but I dont know exactly how to get the most out of them.I have read that the K-43 is an 4 Ohm driver so my question is do I use them as stearo subs and stack my Heresys on top of driving them at 8 Ohms OR run them in series and use them as mono subs maybe one on each side of the couch?

Thanks in advance Steve R

A La Scala is not a sub, a La Scala needs a sub! This would be even more true when using K-43 woofers, which trade off a bit of extreme low-end response for a bit more mid-bass response, along with more power handling (200Wpc instead of 100Wpc).

The ideal way to go would be to get a pair if La Scala HF sections so you have a complete pair of La Scalas, then get a real subwoofer (or two).

Using your LS bass bins with Heresies as HF sections, you'll get bigger if not deeper bass. Are you using a 2-channel amp or an AV receiver? If it's a multi-channel AV receiver, you could use the surround channels to power the Heresies and set the receiver to 5-channel or 7-channel stereo. I'm not positive about the best way to hook up the four speakers to a stereo amp, so I hope someone more knowledgeable will jump in.

Thanks for the response. I've have a yamaha P2250, 170 watts a channel stereo amp for the Heresy's. I could use a yamaha P2050 I have,at 50 watts a channel for the bins.. I know the La Scala's aren't a sub,thats why I was wondering weather it was worth hooking them up. I've got a Behringer CX 2310 I can use as a cross over for stereo .

Hey, it sounds like you've got everything you need to give it a try. There's another forum member who got some Jubilee bass bins and was going to try some Heresies as HF sections on top of them, just temporarily. Let us know how your outfit sounds.

Q - I want to use them to help my Heresy's and fill out the sound in my living room but I dont know exactly how to get the most out of them.

A - Not the best use for a LaScala Bass Bin since there's less than a 25hz difference between the low end of a LaScala and A Heresy.

Q - I have read that the K-43 is an 4 Ohm driver so my question is do I use them as stearo subs and stack my Heresys on top of driving them at 8 Ohms OR run them in series and use them as mono subs maybe one on each side of the couch?

A - In parallel with out a crossover you could damage your amp if your amp can not drive loads below 4 ohms. In series with out a crossover would add 4 ohms and the inductance of the woofer coil would actually cause some loss of high frequencies since this would act like a band pass filter.

I would sell the bass bins and use the money to buy a sub woofer.

Thanks for the help guy's.I think I'm going to keep them for now. When put under the Heresy's it t sounded better.But I also put them on either end of the couch facing it and they realy thumped!. I ran them in series and crosed over at 100HZ usin my Berhenger. it sound good setting on the couch but out in the room is was missing it.Worked well with suuriound movies so I think I will experiment some more.