Should I buy or build?

runninshine

I only want to spend about about $800-$1000 on a nice tube amp. So should I build one or buy? I would like to know more about how a tube amp works so building one would be cool and rewarding.

What are your thoughts and any recommendations for diy kits? I will be using it with either Cornwalls or La Scalas.

If you want to build one, there are a few dynaco kit clones avail with good construction guides. But from an electrical understanding perspective, these kits are not that informative since their assembly is more of a mechanical excersie based on illustrations.

I would say building kits is generally most cost effective way, and you can control the quality of the components. I guess you need to decide if you want to go Single Ended or Push Pull. Each has a sound to themselves. SE tends to be more detailed, but requires speakers with high sensitivity. At the $1000 price point there are lots of options and good equiptment. Careful, amplifier building can become an addictive hobby. After I built my first kit I continue to want to build another after another.

I have built a pair of Dynco clones, see the web site dynakitparts.com. I have built a pair of the MKIII and was delighted in the quality of the kits. These kits at this site are push pull amps in the 17 to 60 watt range. I would second the notion, these are put together cook book style.

There are several SE builds on the internet, I have completed this amp http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/KT88/, This would give you a better understanding of the amplifer design. This is around 5 to 10 watts. Also in this web page is a simple single ended 50eh5, which uses low cost tubes and transformers. Building this would give you a good understanding of assembly techniques before you step into a high dollar kit.

All of these kits are well within your price range.

james V, the room size is 14x14 with vaulted ceiling abt 28ft high. So its nice to really turn it up and have a drink and just enjoy. Its funny you guys mention the dynakits for I was just looking at the site and thinking to myself those are pretty good looking and Im sure they're not too hard to build.

Mike, you bring up a good point on the SE or PP. Since I am so new to this I dont know which to build. I guess I just want something that sounds nice, has nice bass and will fit well with my Corns or Ls......and maybe one day Khorns.

With the great efficiency of the Corns or LaScalas I would vote for Single Ended. They give a more detailed sound compared to push pull, but can be a bit shy in the bass. If you are a bass nut such as myself then add a subwoofer in the future. If a sub is not in your future, then a lower powered push pull would be a good choice. The ST-35 or ST-70 would provide enough watts IMHO.

james V, the room size is 14x14 with vaulted ceiling abt 28ft high. So its nice to really turn it up and have a drink and just enjoy. Its funny you guys mention the dynakits for I was just looking at the site and thinking to myself those are pretty good looking and Im sure they're not too hard to build. Mike, you bring up a good point on the SE or PP. Since I am so new to this I dont know which to build. I guess I just want something that sounds nice, has nice bass and will fit well with my Corns or Ls......and maybe one day Khorns.

Runninshine. I sent you an email. I am planning on moving to Sandy or Park City ifin the future.