KLF-30s vs. Belles/La Scallas/Klipschorns/etc.

TLI

Basement 7.2 HT project - 21' x 20' room of which we're using ~1/2 of it as a theater. I know I need a diagram but haven't created one yet. Regardless, from a price perspective, my mind is made up to go with KLF-30s as my fronts w/ a matched center. BUT........I keep reading about how good some of the older models sound.

Does anyone have a solid comparison for how much better these older models are than the "newer" Legends? I can't really stomach dropping $2K for a pair, still needing to find a good center vs. ~$750 for a high quality full set of 30's w/ a center included. I can't help wondering, however, what I'm missing out on......

I'm having a difficult time just figuring out what exactly is the ranking of the older models as well. From top to bottom, rated by sound quality, how would you all rate the older lineup so I can also keep my eyes open for good deals as I slowly try to fill out the front mains in my HT setup. My current system downstairs that I'm trying to match up with, to the best degree possible, is in my signature below. Thanks again for the input..........

--todd

you just posted a loaded question. from all the questions and posts i have read and answered, it all comes down to your ears. even if 2 people had identical rooms in dimensions and construction and identical set ups, you would get a different sound between the two. for one, accoustics play a very large part in it. everything down to your furinature to your texture on the walls has an impact. the next big impact difference is your actually hearing. i for one have 0 and 5 hearing when 30 is considered good. with that good of hearing i couldn't tell you the difference between an heritage or reference speaker. i don't have "trained" ears for that. i had a pair of ksf 10.5 that i moded and then demoed a pair of rf-82's. my wife and i both agreed that the 10.5's sounded way better. on paper, the 82's are a superior set up. i wouldn't have given them 5cents for their 82 set up. i have also been in a professional ht room (star power) where they had the entire rf-83 set up. again wife and i agreed mine sounded 10x better. now in defence of the 83's (before i get flamed) that room set up was soooooo wrong that i had to leave. the center channel was 1 foot off the floor (no angle either), 83's were in an actual closed enclosure (like 1" clearance all the way around) and the rs-62's were hidden by a huge tree/plant (could only see one small corner of it). so your room plays a very important part along with placement, if you balanced it out (spl meter), and not to mention all the differences in gear.

so this long post basically says, there is no actual order. it really and honestly goes by budget and your ears. buy what you can afford, set it up right, and never look back.

i hope this helps you in some way.

TLI,

Whatever you decide just remember........Your room is actually part of the speaker. From experience and research......I can tell you that "better" gear and "better" speakers will not sound as good in a room that is not "acoustically proper". Actually, they can sound pretty bad.

That being said, I would rather have "lower end" gear and speakers in a room that brings them to their full potential.......instead of "higher end" gear and speakers that are in a problematic listening room.

Proper placement and room treatments have brought my system to it's full potential. I am now a happy camper. [:D]

Good Luck......Let us know how you make out. PS.......KLF-30's are kick a$$ speakers, if they will save you some dough.....go for it.

This is purely my opinion and it is biased. For my money, the KLF-20's are superior to the 30's. When first deciding on which set to get a decade ago, the 20's were simply the best sound producer and most efficient in the KLF series (10/20/30). Mate a C-7 center channel (if you can find one) to the KLF-20's and it really is remarkable how crisp and clear dialogue and vocals are. But again, this is just my biased opinon. I will state that for 2 channel stereo the KLF-20's were great and now as front mains in a HT setup, I remain impressed.