Need a Woofer for my new system

PhillyGuy

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so sorry that it's so long.

I recently picked up a pair of the RF-3 II speakers for my apt, along with a Denon 1602 Reciever, a sony DVD player, etc (The people at Tweeter love me).

Now I want to pick up a center channel (RC-3 II) and a woofer. I know that you want to get a center channel that is matched to your speakers, but what about the woofer? I rather not get the RSW-10 woofer right now b/c I don't think I would be able to fully enjoy it (I'm on the 3rd floor apt and I don't think my neighbors share my audio tastes). Will a smaller less expensive woofer ($500 range) degrade the sound?

Any suggestions for a woofer?

Is no one going to help the guy out? I would say go ahead with the RSW-10, just keep it turned down.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Well, guys, I am a Klipsch horn enthusiast as many will tell you... but the sub that does the job in the Klipsch lineup is the KSW-15... and that seems a ways off in your Klipsch adventure.

But, all is not lost. When you need a sub that is accurate (read that musical) and full-bodied (read that bottom end muscle) even when played at "apartment friendly" levels, I have not found anything to beat an SVS passive tubular sub.

Since the sub is passive, you'll need to pick up a power amp, or wire an old stereo amp to put out 350 watts of power at 4 ohms (a very easy and inexpensive task)... or buy an amp from SVS.

I went through over a dozen subs in a year trying to find one that could really be fine tuned to work in my environment... including every sub in the then Klipsch lineup. I wanted something that could reach above the Minimum Dolby Digital Standard for Theaters (121.5 dB) and yet be able to make listening to music at a low but enjoyable level while my 96 year old mother napped in the room next door to the HT.

I feel a little strange endorsing a non-Klipsch product on this Forum, but there are times when putting the right ingredient in someone's audio mix gives them the opportunity to get the best out of their Klipsch speakers... this is one of those times.

They are not in stores, only on the net, but you are not likely to find a fairer, more honest, knowledgeable and forthcoming a group of Klipsch friendly sub builders on this planet.

Building a life in an atmosphere of quality sound brings the benefits of psychoacoustics to renew and refresh one's mind and spirit. The two most important speakers in that quest in the multi-channel age are a quality sub (not usually found in sub-$600 offerings) and a center speaker capable of handling the upwards of 75% of the total sound that comes out of a 5.1 DVD.

Sorry you did not get this advice earlier... but it has been posted frequently in other threads. There is a lot to learn from browsing this forum. Go forth and enjoy the Klipsch life. cwm32.gif HornEd

===========================================

versatility: Brain MUST Be Engaged Before Shifting Into EAR!

===========================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways to Someday!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in constant homage of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

Phillyguy,

I have a set of rf-3's and a ksc-c1 center. For a subwoofer I have a ksw-12. It really gets the job done. If I could I would purchase another ksw-12 and put it in the other corner of my house. If there is not alot of difference between price for the ksw-12 and the ksw-15 get the 15. Also you may want to look at getting a Velodyne ct-12? They are around the same price. 350-400

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Philips Pronto ts-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

PhillyGuy,

The RSW10 is a very good sounding sub minus the deepest bass.Its good to about 30Hz and below this it sarts sinking fast.One thing it is is very tight and controlled.You will not complain about "BOOMY" or "MUDDY".Its clean as clean gets.

The KSW15 is around and under $500.This sub will extend about to 25Hz(err weak down there)and sound ok if positioned and fine tuned right.Its not as clean the built quality is lesser.For under $500 its a good choice.

If you think you dont need monster output of an SVS SS or Krell MRS you could take a look at the Carver Knight Shadow,this little cube beats the KSW15,RSW10 on deep bass and its a sealed design,very clean.

The Carver Knight Shadow hits down to below 25Hz!

Its one of the best buys right now.

Another contender is the Velodyne SPL 800,another microsub with serious output.The Velodyne and Sunfire(Carver)subs make you wonder how they fit these mini monster drivers and amps in such small cabinets.They do work and work well.

I have three Sunfire subs,one Carver,two Klipsch and three BIG leagues subs.The Carver for its price/performance is a real bargain.

TheEAR(s) Now theears