RP3s & Me

TwoWatt

Well. I finally did it.

Went and bought a pair of RP3's from UBID. Well, I was searching forums here & read about problems with amp noise on the RP3. Is this more common than not? What kind of difficulty am I going to have if I have the same problem? I know Klipsch is based in Indianapolis,IN (I am in South Bend,IN 150 miles north), but I see returns go to Arkansas? What a bummer should I have to send them in. I also read that Klipsch will honor its warranty more than what UBID states of 1 year. Something like 2 years parts/5 labor. Is this correct? This is my first 'real' speaker purchase and hope I didnt just buy myself trouble..... Any replys are appreciated (esp from a klipsh rep)

Thanks & Good Day

cwm5.gif

Well. I may as well add to this post. I read that the subs in these speakers should point away from each other(towards the walls) instead of towards each other. Which to me makes sense. Any other opinions.

This message has been edited by TwoWatt on 02-04-2002 at 06:27 PM

2W, i hope for klipsch sake you're not a big fan of michael moore. cwm4.gif

the rp-3 were the 1st newer klipsch i got 2. did have that amp buzz problem on 1 of them, but hopefully they got that fixed for your run of rp.

i did have the subs pointed outward. seems to be best way but here again u may want to try 'em each way & hear what sounds best to you; as rooms, equipment, tastes, etc. do vary by user.

good luck!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I have no doubt I will love these speakers. I've heard them locally with the same reciever I use.(Denon AVR1602) And to my ears they blew the RF3-II's away. Once he switched to the powered tower my jaw dropped.

My only question is the build. If its anything like my ksc-c1 and my quintets I know I am in luck, but those are far more basic in build. I plan on upgrading the center & possibly the surrounds but I'm going to wait to see how they match up with the RP3's. I've read others with the same setup remark that they match nicely.

Like others have said "Klipsch fan for life"

I recently got a pair of rp-3's from UBid and haven't had any problems with them. The only thing I really don't like about the speakers is that the sub amp will "clip" if you play really loud music on them. You'll also need a good deal of sub cable to hook them up to the sub output on your reciever. Other than that, they are great sounding speakers. Enjoy.

------------------

klf-30 front

klf-c7 center

rp-3 rear

lf-10 sub

Denon avr-3300

Denon DVD-2500

Denon DCM-270 cd

Mitsubishi 55" ws tv

TwoWatt, at LEAST spring for the RC-3 center.Your present speaker will not compare to the RC-3.When you can also get the matching surrounds.You'll be glad you did!

As far as which way to turn the subs,I'd recommend not having them close to walls/corners.Have some fun, experiment!

One more thing, check www.accessories4less.com for Acoustic Research sub cables.Part # HT-153 25' sub cable costs $28.79.The 12' sub cable is less.'Y' cable, $11.79.

Keith

Keith

yea forgot, what keith said, i had mine about 5-6 feet out from the walls. of course i had to w/ my lack of space. cwm4.gif

keith, i was just checking accessories4less for sidewinders. looks like they have some great deals on those longer & in pairs & also on the vsd-2 3M, 4M.

that 4M is about $50 less than i paid months ago at the then best place - audioadvisor. oh well. cwm5.gif

last ones on the vsd.

but looks like A4L isn't selling the short 0.5M sidewinders anymore (?). audioadvisor has 'em though on backorder.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks for the replies. Definitely looking into matching the speakers in the near future (dont tell my girlfriend) Also, just letting everyone know UBID was on the ball on this order. Already shipped & due tommorrow. I think the auction ended 2-4-02 today is 2-07-02 & I didnt pay extra delivery.

I'll post my initial impressions :D

Brian err,um TwoWatt

This message has been edited by TwoWatt on 02-07-2002 at 06:48 PM

TwoWatt,I know you will enjoy the towers.Don't let anyone tell you to waste your money and buy a different center and surrounds.After you've had the speakers awhile you will find there are many different hook-up options.After much tinkering I found I preferred running my KSP300 speakers 'large',speaker wire connections(with jumpers in place),and receiver sub out to LFE in on front L/R and setting my Denon 3801 sub bass management to 'LFE' only.

If you have any more questions come on back.Boa and myself enjoy advising others with hook-up questions as we gain valuable knowledge while you do the work:^)!

BTW Brian,did you get the 'cherry' RP's? If so let us know what you think of the finish.

Thanks for the reminder on the interconnects boa.Been meaning to order a pair for my TV audio.Back when you were looking for the VSD-2 I was going to tell you about the ones at A4L.After you mentioned you had ordered I figured you wouldn't want to know.:^(

Seems A4L maybe has the longer of various manufacturers interconnects and not the other lengths.Maybe they get deals on unpopular lengths?

Keith

keith, i hope i did check A4L then (i think cwm3.gif ). know i checked about everywhere & one low rent place had it for $115 & audadvisor was a lil higher but threw in free shipping.

yea I got those real long sidewiders for the analog tv/vcr. sound great. great shielding - no noise.

thanks again for turnin me on to AQ. cwm32.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Just when you think everything is going your way. Along comes UBID and totally drops the ball & the other team wins. I did receive my A-speaker today, however the B-speaker was an RP5... I looked at the boxes and was like hmmm... wonder why that one is SOO much bigger. Anyway I refused shipment on the RP5 (should've kept it) and called UBID. Now I am looking at 3-5 DAYS before anyone will get back with me on sending another speaker. I thought KLIPSCH has some kind of quality control & let only people they trusted sell their speakers. Well. UBID is not one of them.

BTW. I did get the black speakers & boy are they (well should i say, boy is IT) awesome. But, looks like its going to sit in its box until the other arrives.

Way to go UBID. Another happy customer.

Brian

I got my RP3's from Ubid two months ago and have never looked back. Best speakers I've ever owned, their connected to a Denon 3802 that is even more amazing then the speakers. I am having one little problem. I recently purchased 14g speaker wire with a banana connector and it doesn't fit the rp3' or the Denon. Do they use a larger than normal plug? What about Bi-amping the Denon produces 140w@6ohms I'd love to hear the system rip out highs at that level.

cwm16.gif

AbuKor2, I have a 3801 and it will accept only single banana plugs(memory).However the RP3's should accept dual banana plugs,if that is where you're problem lies.

You could bi-wire the RP's.How do you have you speakers wired now?

Keith

Well. I have been contacted (emailed) by UBID on their mistake. I am on the phone with them (well on hold/forget) just to make sure the they send me the correct speaker & the receipts for both speakers (i guess they were on the RP5) Anyways, it shows my B-speaker in credit-processing. If they try to charge me another 70 bucks to overnight ship this thing I am going to do 2 flips & a cartwheel :D

I will post back when I get off the phone.

Well, I guess they are working on shipping this thing out, as far as I could tell I wont be charged for reshipping the unit (I will keep an eye on my visa bill) so I guess everything is 'in process' (a popular UBID term)

I will be back later to ask connection questions.

Thanks for reading.

Brian

This message has been edited by TwoWatt on 02-11-2002 at 09:59 AM

Well Keith, I am connecting to the upper inputs and leaving the gold clamps on while using the LFE input as Boa12 previously suggested. I read somewhere that the banana plug is covered or plugged because European AC plugs are the same size. If that's so how do you remove it in order to insert the banana plug? 2wt wish you luck... cwm6.gif

This message has been edited by Abukor2 on 02-11-2002 at 01:52 PM

Well, finally got my speaker Thursday.

My questions are how to setup the receiver to get the best sound. I have a denon avr1602. Right now I have my subout to my dedicated sub and no connections to the lfe-in on the speakers. Do I still set my speakers to small? My receiver has a sub setting for normal or +mains. Since I have no LFE in to speakers yet should I still set this to normal?

Also, for movies I plan on letting the sub do the lfe & for music I want the speakers to do it.

Also, I hear the amp buzz everyone talks about, should I send it back? Its not noticeable unless you but your head down & put it next to speaker. Should I be concerned? Should I just put the speakers on a seperate surge protector & turn them off when not in use? I figure unless I am playing music I am not going to use the amplifier in the speakers?

Is this correct?

I will work with placement but the ball & chain is limiting my work area :D

Thanks

Brian