LaScala Grills

CIGARBUM

Does anyone have any comments or recommendation about adding grills to LaScalas. I have seen pictures where folks have put grills over the top horns and grill pieces on the bass bin. I guess the question is, does it effect the sound in any way? What do you make the grill backing out of and how do you attach?

Not, that the LaScalas are bad looking but having the grills IMHO look better. I have just ordered the A/4500 crossover and the CT125 tweeter, I believe that will be my starting point for sound.

At some point in the near future I would likt to re-veneer these, but they don't look that bad considering where the guy I purchased from had these things. Stored in his shop (Chicken Coop, feather mouse crap, spiders and webs, it was terrible)

Anyone who has pictures , plans or the such, I wouald appreciate seeing then.

After I get them done, I want to start on the Cornscalas, I anyone has any plans, specification or pictures, they would be appreciated also.

Thanks

CB

The grills won't affect the sound. I put a pair of top grills on my wifes and she really likes them. I do need to do them differently though... 3/4" quarter round molding along the edges and then put them back on. I'm waiting until I "get around to-it", because The LS's really need to be stripped and re-finished. Maybe next summer.....

The grill "blanks" are easy... just 1/16" masonite board, etc. Send me a PM or email ref: the current ones (black cloth) and I may get started on that project a little sooner...

Your wife has her own set of LaScalas? My wife doesn't have an audiophile bone in her body, but she is very understanding of my sonic needs. It seems that Kilpsch put grills on the top portion of Lascalas in the late 70's through the 90's. I think they were an option. Mine are from 80 and they have them. There is some beveled trim around them in what looks to be oak.I have black cloth, but I am lusting afer cane.

Your wife has her own set of LaScalas?....

It's a burden that true audiophiles must carry.... The WAF factor for all of our "toys" must be calculated with the SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) Tolerance Tables (aka the SWM BOT's).

To elucidate... I carted home a pair of Heresy's to be repaired and restored. My wife looks at them with all due tolerance, throws out a couple of thinly veiled warnings about "trashy things in the house", and project begins....

When they are finished, however.... she looks at them and says, :Those are really nice! What, pray tell, are you going to do with them?". It's not the statement or the question, it's the look in her eyes, it's the tone of the voice, that wistful nonchalance that, at first blush, you won't catch because you are too busy conjuring up in your mind's eye just how they will look and sound when you have them hooked up in your man cave.

Fatal error... A novice's mistake to be sure, but if you pay very close attention, consider the nuances, and look into her eyes you will sense the true question being posed.... "Where are mine?"; and behind that question are the underlying WAF/SWM BOT data table results that one must heed at all times when engaged in a manly pursuit of audio toys.

The data table indicated that in order to proceed, be happy and generally stay out of the wooden hut usually reserved for the canine members of the family, I must also provide something similar for her pleasure. A crude but accurate analogy would be if the cat comes home with a dead bird and deposits it on the porch, the WAF remark is usually, "Gross!!! Get that out of here!!!. But... If the cat comes home with two dead birds, as in one for him and one for you, the master of his universe..., the WAF remark suddenly changes to... "How cute, how sweet!! Look, Diddums brought one for us!!!"

So, having learned the necessary skills to survive.... I showed her pictures of the different Klipsch Heritage speakers (What else would I show her?!!). She ran the photos through that awesome and magnificent brain that she is most certainly blessed with, threw in a few "huhm's", and pointed to the LaScalas. Then... with all appropriate terrible and awesome deliberateness.... said..., "Those are pretty. They would look nice in the bedroom".

I have done my duty, and have survived from year to year. Sort of like the annual feed the dragon festival practiced in some matriarchal cultures. The LaScala's for her birthday in 2005; the rosewood K'horns for 2006; The Forte's for 2008, and I'm feverishly working on the Cornwall HT project for the living room.

Thus the "Wall of Boudoir". They are her's, she's happy, and watches the Soap Channel and the news every morning, and certain shows ("House", etc.) in the evening.

Moral: When feeding the dragons make sure you know what passes or is acceptable for the sacrificial feast....

(PS. The Chorii in the photo are going to Ben Samuels later this month).

• 2 weeks later...