Bi-Wiring Speakers

gary101050

Can someone schplain to me the advantage or disadvantage of biwiring speakers. Recently purchased RB5's for my system, and I am still puzzled by the biwiring phenomena. Is the sound supposed to be better if biwired? I can't tell if there is any difference or maybe I am getting deaf from too much pumped up volume over the years.

Some people can hear a difference and some dont. I personally cant hear a difference but I only have a set of rf-3's. Maybe it depends on the kind of speakers you have a if you have a seperate power amp instead of a ht reciever.??

cwm34.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Philips Pronto ts-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

I bi-wired my KLF- 20's and did find a difference. Of course I threw a few other wrenches in to the equation as well.

1) The wire I upgraded from was 14ga. Woods (lamp cord) wire to MIT Terminator2 Bi-wire. An over $500 MSR difference.

2) The front end equipment has a bit to do with this as well. The better your equipment is to begin with the greater the noticeable difference.

3) According to a well-known speaker cable manufacturer, the greater the resistance difference between the LF drivers and HF drivers the greater the noticeable difference. i.e.-8ohms for the LF and 6.8 ohms for the HF would not be as noticeable as 8ohms for the LF and say 4.2ohms for the HF. Just something I read. Here's a quote from StraightWire:

BI-WIRING ALWAYS MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE

Many speakers today have double sets of binding posts which allow for bi-amping or bi-wiring. The audible benefits of Bi-amping - Vertical (one amp for right speaker, other for left) or Horizontal (one amp for LF, another for mids & highs) are usually clear. Bi-wiring is especially useful when the characteristic impedance varies between the high & low frequency segments of the speaker (i.e. 3 ohm & 8 ohm). It helps reduce the effects of backflow EMF which can smear HF details. If the characteristic impedance is close- the benefits of bi-wiring might not be as clearly audible. It is better in most systems to connect with a single run of a high quality cable than to Bi-wire with two lower quality cables.

Hope this helps!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-05-2002 at 04:28 PM

Generally It does not seem to make an enormous difference one way or another. There are a lot of factors that can come in, however, depending on the setup, loads, cable being used etc. etc.

A friend of mine has KLF30's mated to an Accuphase Amp. Biwring makes a very small difference between these 2, one that you can easily miss. Another friend with RF3's and a Marantz old 2 channel amp reckons it makes no difference at all.

The biggest difference I have heard was with a Sony receiver connected to, dare I say it, a pair of B&W 603 speakers. Definite improvement on bass.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable