is mixing klipsch series ok?

jwatson364

The Icon series is voiced differently, and I don't think you'd get a good Voice match with the C3.

You could also check with Sound Distributors.com If you call them, they will give you a better Price on the Center.

Good Luck and let us know whatever you end up doing.

Another Idea that was proposed to me was the RF 82 Series. They are 100.00 cheaper in price to the Icon series and they have a better center channel..............JMHO.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-82-home-theater-system.aspx

Looking to buy my first set of speakers for a new TV but was curious if you could mix the X Icon Series with the W Icon Series. I understand mixing across complete series like Reference and Icon speakers is not recommended.

I am looking at purchasing two XL-23 speakers for the left (OneCall is willing to sell them at $360 each) and right front, but was interested in the WC-24 or XL-12. Both would fit in my TV stand under the LCD, but the WC-24 has a higher sensitivity. I plan on listening to both, if they are at my local home theater store or Best Buy/Magnolia.

Also if I added the rear surround speakers (not right now, lack of $$) should they be Klipsch or can they be another brand? Wanting to find some good quality surround speakers that are not too big and can be placed on the wall without causing too much of an issue with the wife.

Now researching AV receivers, 7.1 setup with at least 3 HDMI inputs. Any input is greatly suggested as I am leaning toward Klipsch speakers over others. Thanks in advance.

Slee31,

I would say that you might want to start a new thread just to get the specific answer to your question.

I will add this about your questions.

If you are going to get the XL-23 then you should get the three for the front. Nothing is more important in HT then having timber match across the front three speakers. Also if you can swing it you can use the XL-23 for your surround speakers or the XB-10, here is a link to the complete XL-23 setup. http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/xl-23-home-theater.aspx

As far a receivers, how much are you looking to spend? Do you have a problem with purchasing used?

James

Hi James,

Sorry I thought I put the XL-12 as one of the centers I was considering (I listed the XL-23 by accident, edited the post) I wish I could get all the three XL-23 for the three front speakers, but I measured and I will not be able to put the center XL-23 in the center speaker spot in my stand. The other two center speakers WC-24 and XL-12 are Icons, but not sure if they would be a good match.

I went to local home theater/audio store down the street and the XL-23 did sound good, but they did not have either of the other center speakers to see if they sounded good together. I may be open to having the XL-23 as surrounds, but would have to use stands. At least my wife would be happy as they would not be on the wall.

For the receiver, I am willing to spend $700-900 (hopefully in the next couple of months). Most likely I will opt to buying a new receiver, looking at a couple that are Pioneer, Onkyo or Denon. The receiver will mostly be used for movies and not as much for music.

Thanks again for your insight and I probably will start a new thread.

Lee

• Moderators

Most likely I will opt to buying a new receiver, looking at a couple that are Pioneer, Onkyo or Denon. The receiver will mostly be used for movies and not as much for music.

If it will be used primarily for HT, I would go with Onkyo. If you listened to a lot of 2ch, it's probably not the best choice. Fantastic for HT though.

Thanks everyone for your insights. I bought three of the XL-23 speakers and have one on hand now, had to order the other two since they were not instock. Also liked the XF-48 floor stand speakers, but they are out of my price range at the moment. Happy to report that taking off the stands allows me to put one of them in the center speaker slot in my TV stand. Also ordered an Onkyo 806 and should have it and the speakers by Thursday. Now just need to find a good sub, thinking either the Icon XW-500D, RSW-10D or one of the Mirage subs. Willing to spend $600-800 once I get income tax next year.

Again thanks for helping me out as I am learning alot reading many of the threads.

I wouldn't recommend mixing speakers. I would definitely go with all speakers from the same series......

thats definitely too general a response. I have rb75 to well look at my sig, they are fine.

Jay,

That was talking about mixing the front three speakers. Getting the mains from one series and getting the center from another.

James

Forgot to mention that BestBuy had the XL-23's on sale for $319 as of yesterday, which is why I moved so fast.

Great to hear that you were able to get them and at a great price also. As far as sub go, that can be another journey by itself. Some have sub that are not Klipsch and recommend them, you might want to check out the "Subwoofer" forum for some help.

James